For Sale San Francisco 82 FJ40 - Craigslist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Not mine and no affiliation- Interesting for sure - seems to be in really decent shape but the "frame has a slight tweak"? The drivers corner of the hood is offset quite a bit.

Mud opinions appreciated on this one.

I’ve been looking at buying my first FJ40, up until this point I’ve been focused on finding a ‘75-78. Looking for a clean body, stockish truck to drive/restore. Previous budget was up to $15k.

Think this one is worth the extra money? I don’t really care for the ‘79+ grille, but this one seems pretty clean/sorted. Just scared off by the bent frame.

I’ve been looking at buying my first FJ40, up until this point I’ve been focused on finding a ‘75-78. Looking for a clean body, stockish truck to drive/restore. Previous budget was up to $15k.

Think this one is worth the extra money? I don’t really care for the ‘79+ grille, but this one seems pretty clean/sorted. Just scared off by the bent frame.

There are many schools of thought:

1) Buy cheap and do the work yourself.
Benefit: You learn priceless knowledge on YOUR vehicle
Negative: Time Time Time Time and money.....did I say Time? If it is a long term project then who cares!

2) Buy ready to drive
Benefit: You can jump in it and enjoy it, with maybe some basic repairs here and there. And if you do not have to worry about the seats falling through the tub, that is another big plus.
Negative: Money, these rigs do not seem to be getting cheaper and it will cost you to be in this bracket. After attempting to sell mine for 6 months a gave up and bought a second one. Everyone seems to want a ORIGINAL, Reliable , Zero Rust Fj40 for 10K.

3) Restored: Not relevant here

The rig you are looking at has a lot of new stuff on it. When I look at a vehicle I look at the MECHANCALS and BODY (rust). The trimmings are secondary. The owner seems to have cared for it and put time and money into it, that is a positive. I would encourage you to look at as many as possible and drive a few if you can. We drove from San Diego to LA, Pasadena, Corona, Anaheim and some other places to look at 5 fj40s last week. These things are never for sale down the street until you bring yours home. In doing this you may miss a deal or two, but you will quickly be able to distinguish what a DEAL is.

Frame: If the frame is damaged, I would not consider it worth it in my book. But I would make that determination after a close inspection.

Agree with Dave above^^^^ - This is worth at least a conversation with the Seller
**noticed the Seller he has dropped the price, but he also removed the wording about the frame tweak in the ad**

Great looking cruiser, I will however echo the sentiment something funky is going on with that hood/front end alignment

I'd go check it out, or talk to seller for sure, but something is going on up front, and if the frame was bent, no way would I pay that much.

It's down to $17.5 - Wonder if anyone here's looked at it?

I haven’t had the time to drive 1.5hrs to check it out yet and the seller isn’t the most helpful over the phone/email

Might have to bite the bullet and make the drive to get the real story.

I haven’t had the time to drive 1.5hrs to check it out yet and the seller isn’t the most helpful over the phone/email

Might have to bite the bullet and make the drive to get the real story.

I'm going to be up that way in the next few days to pick up my 40 from Valley Cruisers, but I'll be leaving Georg with $$ so another 40 isn't in my immediate future.

Sort of figured there was more to the story about the Seller, he's taken down the frame tweak language and dropped the price thousands. Interesting though for sure

I have a clean 78 for $20k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom