San Diego, Socal Smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First, check the classified section daily; there are many people parting out 60’s.
Once you get the smog parts, then pay a fellow cruiser to help you install it.
Don’t loose hope; it can be done…

This is the most likely scenario going for me at the moment. I want to swap an H55 in too so it may just be a large upfront cost. I’m wanting to meet up with some local San Diego cruiser owners who have a better base knowledge than I do who can look at my truck and tell me the cost and I can decide if it’s worth it.
Also hoping to find a reputable mechanic that has worked on LC before, so looking like that may be my next hurdle to overcome.

First, check the classified section daily; there are many people parting out 60’s.
Once you get the smog parts, then pay a fellow cruiser to help you install it.
Don’t loose hope; it can be done…
I would like that, but i’m also on the fence because I’m not confident that I have to resort to using 30+ year old parts. I will check and if the stars align but if I’m going to spend into the thousands to REsmog the 2F why not just pull the trigger and go for another engine?

Living in CA and owning and working on these vehicles even with all their smog equipment installed is a chore!
When those every other year smog checks come up my stomach turns to knots.
Like it was mentioned here before search the classifieds and try to pick up someone else’s parts they removed for a d’smog.
I just bought a cruiser with no smog parts and I sourced them out. But I also had parts I had stashed a way knowing I would need them.
So that helped.
Good luck! With some time and patience just like finding the right cruiser you will find your parts.
Or just register it out of state.

Getting a swap smogged in CA is not going to be easy either from what I hear. Unless your in love with it or it’s got a perfect original body I would just pass it on and lick your wounds

Just register it out of state.

VT makes it easy.

The Vermont Loophole.
As someone who lives in Vermont I can tell you that using Vermont for reg can be risky. Vermont requires an annual safety inspection on all vehicles and they are now logged into the state DMV with a purpose built tablet each inspection station has to purchase. So at some point you run the risk of your reg tripping up because the state sees no valid inspection associated. Also if you get pulled over in a state the knows about VT inspection stickers and notes your lack of a current one they can impound your vehicle because it might be unsafe to drive.

so basically if you live close to Vermont it’s not an issue because you can just come visit once a year and stay compliant. Living in Cali however.... not to mention what Cali might do if they figure out you have VT plates and live local.

Here you go @bvcon
Someone is selling a complete engine with smog stuff.

Here you go @bvcon
Someone is selling a complete engine with smog stuff.
Thank you for that. I sent him a message.

Register it in Montana with a Montana LLC. It’s 100% legal and lifetime registration. Never deal with any renewals or inspection ever again. California is worried about high registration fee evaders keeping $ out of California, primarily expensive RVs.

Register it in Montana with a Montana LLC. It’s 100% legal and lifetime registration. Never deal with any renewals or inspection ever again. California is worried about high registration fee evaders keeping $ out of California, primarily expensive RVs.
Been debating doing this with a 70 series, still weighing risks vs rewards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom