1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

San Diego -- Mud'ers

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bull, Aug 15, 2006.

1. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    I just received a job offer in San Diego that might just have to accept. Can anyone give me the low down in San Diego. Saw a few houses in Escondido that would work nicely. Anyhoo...thoughts? Likes...dislikes?

2. calamaridog

calamaridog

San Diego is awesome but the median house price is around $500,000 so many people don't move here.

Traffic sucks bad so don't have a high mileage commute unless you are driving at odd hours.

The weather is great unless you love snow. Escondido is inland so definitely hotter than the coast.

Stone Brewery is close to Escondido. Mmm, Stone.

There is a ton of stuff to do in San Diego and Los Angeles, especially if you have kids.

We have some good wheeling within 1-4 hours drive, and not just north of the border either. Sportfishing is good if you fish.

Come on out and look around. If I'm available, I'll show you around some.

3. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Calamaridog. The office is in North San Diego north of MiraMar . Do you reccomend any places to live nearby..

4. calamaridog

calamaridog

It's hard to say unless you have a $price$ in mind.

Poway, Mira Mesa, Escondido? Just depends on what you need for space too. If you want a bigger lot, then head out to Ramona.

If you plan on bringing all those trucks with you, you may have trouble finding a place near the office that has enough space.

You would need to decide a couple things such as what commute is acceptable? How much space do you need? Kids = schools. Etc.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want the specifics on the board.

5. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

I live in Escondido. Deep into Escondido, almost Valley Center. There are many new homes going up in the area. Prices are good compared to other (older) homes in San Diego.

Weather is great. Beaches are close. It's typically not hot in Escondido, but it depends on where in Escondido you buy.

I work in 4s Ranch which is north of Mira Mesa. It takes me about 1/2 hour to get to work. Really not bad. Traffic is getting worst, but, there has been a lot of construction all geared towards making it better :rolleyes:. We just have to suffer a bit until it's finished. It's nowhere close to LA traffic.

Poway is good for schools. They are, IIRC, the best school district in SD County. Price are higher there, but you can find larger bits of property.

6. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    wow, you work? I thought you were one of mud millionaires.

7. tim_teasly

tim_teasly

X2 --- Poway School System. The company I work for builds schools all over San Diego, and Poway is one of the best. Poway would be a great place to live also. I lived in the Escondido area, and in Poway, and now in UTC (Between Lajolla & MiraMar). No matter what these guys say, traveling the North 15 in the morning and in the afternoon is a biatch. UTC where I live has a lot of nice houses and townhomes, and I have not sat in traffic going North or South in over two years.

Just My .02 - Good Luck

8. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
  9. calamaridog

calamaridog

Bull,

You will be going with the traffic both ways, especially if you work regular hours. 15 can really suck at rush hour.

Look in Poway also. As mentioned, UTC is a nice area too.

Beach-n-Toys meets right in that area too:

http://www.tlca.org/clubs/bchntoys/index.html

10. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Bull,
    I live in Escondido & commute to La Jolla. Like the others said the 15 sucks!!
    (Afforable housing in Temecula, and Riverside is probably a main factor)
    The lane expansions are about 10 years in arrears :doh:
    We do have a large yard and would gladly make room for a 40:D
    If you do get down here, I also would be willing to help out.

11. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    Lol..thanks guys. I will let you know when I fly down..maybe we all can meet for a beer or 3. We expended our house search a bit. I know that I will probably have to find something further out to have a shop etc.

Some of the prices I saw in Jamul are insane@!

12. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

That's actually a good area. Much closer to the freeway than I am. I go another 7 miles on Bear Valley.

S15 AM; N15 PM

I'm usually on the road anywhere between 6:15 and 7:00am, and 3:30 to 5:00pm. It's manageble. But I guess it's relative. I rarely stop like LA traffic does and hit crawl spots briefly. 14 miles to/from work = 30 minutes w/ about 3-4 of those miles freeway.

13. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    Traffic in Seattle is bad too. I live 9 miles from work and takes me from 30 to 50 minutes one way...insane!!!

14. tim_teasly

tim_teasly

Just to put things in perspective about the 15. My Cousin lives off of Centre City and Felicita, not to far from where you are looking. Some times it takes him 45 min to get from his house to Rancho Bernardo Road going south on the 15 most of that is trying to get on the 15 in the mornings. Hope some of this helps......

15. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

Wait, what? I take W. Citracado to I15 every morning and it takes just a couple minutes. Rancho Bernardo Rd is my exit for work. We stop at Starbuck's off South Centre City Prkwy and get to work in less than 45mins all the way from my house. What's your cousin doing wrong? Does he leave later maybe?

16. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey, Bull,

I am a San Diego native who fled North to find affordable housing. I was able to buy a new house on 5 acres in a rural area for the price of a condo in SD. If you can find something near your job, go for it. Traffic sucks on the 15 and commuting can be tough if you have no patience. I am lucky enough to have an employer who saw the benifits of opening an office in the Temecula area and it cut my commute from 3 hours a day to 40 minutes round trip. As far as 4-wheeling, it is hard to beat having the mountains and desert areas all within 1-2 hours drive.

17. tim_teasly

tim_teasly

I am sure he is trying to get on the 15 around 7:15-7:30 am.

18. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

That's gotta be it. I'm usually at work by then. A few minutes CAN make a huge difference!

We looked at Temecula some years ago. Homes up there were really cheap and nice. On the 45min drive back down to SD (without traffic), we said "hell no". A lot of people do it though.:confused:

19. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Bull this location is close to where we are, probably has plenty of space for your hoard of cruisers :D

20. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

As calamari mentioned, Beach-n-Toys meets in Poway. I think they're mainly a 40 series LC club though. I'd be nice to have an 80 series group in SD.

Hey Eduardo, we're close to you also! I drive past the mall everyday.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">