SOLD San Diego, CA - 1950 Chevrolet Coupe Deluxe Street Rod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For Sale or Trade for something "Toyota" FJ40, FJ45, FJ60, FJ62 etc.
Looking to get $30k or trade value in that range.

What started out life as a 1950 Chevrolet Coupe Deluxe can now best be described as a fully customized street rod (see Pic 001). Acquired in the year 2002 when I finally graduated college, it took 10 painstaking years to get this machine as close to what I had imagined in my early conceptual renderings (see Pic 002). Before purchasing the project, I decided to take a car that was not very sought after in its original condition, so as to not offend any purists. That being said, I wanted something that had the style and swooping lines of the 40's and 50's era American coupes. I settled on the 1950 Chevrolet Deluxe 2 door coupe.

001.jpg

002.jpg

I purchased the car as a basket case (see Pic 003) knowing I was not going to save much of the originality of the car. My biggest concern was that it had no structural damage or major rust. As the project slowly progressed, I knew this would be a frame off resto-mod, so the first thing we did was remove the body from the frame. I worked with my fabricator (Mark David from M&J Restorations) to shape the body to the desired sight lines that I had initially rendered in my concept drawing. This required an extensive amount of body work since the cues were subtle, but would be highly noticeable if done incorrectly. The following work was done to the original body.

003.jpg

Chopped - (See Pic 004) 3 inches in the A Pillar and 2 inches in the rear, this gave the car a much lower profile than the original bubble top and made it more aggressive in stance.
Raked - (See Pic 005) We raked the B pillar for several degrees to make the car look like it was in motion even when standing still. The original post was vertical. This also required modifying the doors.

004.jpg

005.jpg

Crowned - (See Pic 006) We had to crown the Hood, Top and Trunk lids in order to bring more of the bubble out of the car and flatten out the overall look a bit.

006.jpg

Shaved - (See Pic 007) All door handles, key holes, etc were shaved and filled to give the car a clean uninterrupted look on the exterior.

007.JPG

Rolled - (See Pics 008 & 009) The front and rear bumpers were removed and roll pans were built using the rear corners out of early 50's Chevy truck cabs and working them into the desired shape.

008.jpg
009.jpg

Last edited:
Frenched - (See Pics 010, 011 & 012) I always like the front grille on the early Corvettes and I wanted to incorporate that grille into the face of this build. I also wanted all of the lights to be incorporated into the body.

010.jpg

011.jpg
012.JPG

After the majority of the body work was complete, it was time to select a power train. I went with a rebuilt Chevrolet Corvette Small Block and 5 Speed 700R transmission (See Pic 013). I added a Mustang II front clip for better reliability on the suspension (See Pic 014) and Front Disc Brakes, new fuel cell in trunk (See Pic 015), and custom rolled dashboard and center console (See Pics 016 & 017).

013.jpg
014.JPG
015.JPG
016.jpg
017.JPG

I feel as though I have photo documented the build quite well, and I am savvy enough to know I will never get a full return on my investment, but I do think that the car has a minimum worth for the right buyer. I have well over $75K into this build and I would be happy to get half of that.

I later added a Holley Sniper Electronic Fuel Injection system on the car and it runs and drives like a dream to this day. I only have around 1900 total miles on the build and I think it deserves to be driven more often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom