For Sale San Diego: ‘88 FJ62 Partial Restore Time Capsule Lifelong CA Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This may be a little preemptive as I am overseas until March 2 but wanted to get the word out in case someone was looking for something like this.

This is a very special FJ62. I would call it a partially restored survivor in that the paint is original and extraordinary. The interior is almost show quality and original. Zero cracks in the dash, zero wear on any of the seats. Carpet is in good condition. Everything works on the car including all the switches from the master switch. Besides a very small amount of tiny rock chips and minute imperfections it is one of the nicest original paints I have ever seen.

The passenger fender had a small dent and was repaired beautifully. No bondo.

This car is 99.9% rust free. It has always been in California it’s entire life. There are a very small amount of little tiny specs on the surface of the body scattered throughout but other than that it’s completely rust free. The most rust free 62 I have ever seen. Underneath is flawless.

Now the really good part: at 204,000 miles the engine was completely and professionally rebuilt. This included of course a valve job, machined block, crank and heads, OEM pistons, all of the gaskets, seals, rings, etc. The full deal. Radiator rebuilt, water pump, belts, etc. Engine has less than 2000 miles since being rebuilt. I have all receipts and photo documentation.

The FJ also has very recent OME leaf springs and shocks. Brand new BFG all-terrain 31s. Original wheels in awesome condition. Rear bumper had a small dent in a little oxidation so I replaced it (and the front one to match) with brand new OEM Toyota bumpers. New old stock. Professionally added shoulder belts for those parents!

Car has never been in an accident is straight as an arrow. All of the glass Is original and superb. Clean CA title and Carfax in hand.

The FJ runs and drives like a new one. Previous owner did a lot of maintenance as well and the rebuild alone was close to $6K. I have a folder full of receipts. Well over $35,000 invested in this rig.

Most people I think the paint job was done recently that’s how nice it is. The interior is the nicest original I have ever seen. The carpets are original and not perfect but not terrible by any means.

It’s very hard to put a price on something this special. I don’t think I will ever have the chance to own something like it again. Only reason I am selling is that I am almost a year into a major home remodel and will have to move out of our house for one year and the bids are coming in way over our budget! I am definitely going to regret selling this vehicle. That being said, I am by no means desperate and understand what this thing is worth. You will likely agree once you see it in person.

Please note, I am in Australia until 2nd of March so pardon my delay in responding. I also have very limited pictures on my phone but will try to see what I have.

Last edited:
Sorry, these pics are definitely not the best but all I have at the moment. This was before it was detailed and cleaned up. Asking a very reasonable $28,000. I’ve seen inferior versions for $10-$12,000 more... 206K on the almost perfect chasis and less than 2K on rebuilt engine.

Also, transmission was overhauled as well but not fully rebuilt. Front and rear differentials have been flushed and resealed. Has 3 inch OME lift. I’m definitely forgetting some things but I’m sure there will be questions. Please be a serious buyer before requesting tons of info thanks!

Last edited:
Very nice!!

I thought at first this was the one I sold in 2012, but it's not! (Been looking to see whatever happened to this one, if anyone knows, let me know):

Very nice truck and good luck with the sale!

After seeing @bajaphile sale ad a couple years ago, it's crazy to see how the market on these 60's really turned around.

Five years ago the 60/62 was the bastard child. 40s and 80s were the rage. Then all of a sudden they started showing up in mass media, became cool and here we are. Great alternative to a new SUV, still a hell of a lot cheaper and a whole lot cooler that a Tahoe.

Five years ago the 60/62 was the bastard child. 40s and 80s were the rage. Then all of a sudden they started showing up in mass media, became cool and here we are. Great alternative to a new SUV, still a hell of a lot cheaper and a whole lot cooler that a Tahoe.

So what your saying in a nutshell is 40's , 60's, and 80s are overpriced? And everyone should be grabbing 55's while they have the chance???? :)

I personally think the 60 series especially the 62 is a whole lot of a truck for a little money. This technological advances it has make it a much better road ready daily driver. It’s all you really need in a SUV and the style is so timeless that it’s better looking than any modern SUV. And every FJ is different makes no sense to generalize .

What happened to the power antenna? That antenna isn't a stock Toyota antenna is it?

Please post some engine bays pictures and undercarriage pics. Very clean straight looking FJ62.
I had a white one like this for years and I miss it. What shop did the engine rebuild? What all was
done in the transmission overhaul? Who did that work?

I'm back in the states and ready to answer any questions or send pictures /documentation. Here are a few shots I took today. Truck is in it's unwashed, undetailed natural state. Plenty more for interested buyers PM me.

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_2000.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

Please post some engine bays pictures and undercarriage pics. Very clean straight looking FJ62.
I had a white one like this for years and I miss it. What shop did the engine rebuild? What all was
done in the transmission overhaul? Who did that work?
I have many more pics if interested. Engine was done by MS Auto Gears in Santa Clara. They specialize in off -road vehicles and have been working on FJs since they first came out! Manjit is the best in the business. Trans was flushed, resealed, gaskets, filter, added cooler, temp gauge. Shifts beautifully smooth. About 1,500 miles on engine.

Also, about 2500 miles ago radiator, water pump, all belts and hoses.

Just curious, is there 206k or 260k on the chassis? Such a great looking 62! I keep coming back to these and based off of the stuff out there, it looks like I better jump before all the clean ones are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom