SOLD San Antonio, TX: 1985 FJ60 Silver, CLEAN 212k miles (rebuilt motor @194k) adventure ready (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
IMG_1313 (1).JPG

The Truck

This is a great example of a 1985 FJ60 in nearly stock form, plus some tasteful upgrades. I purchased this cruiser from the original owner here in Texas, although it was originally purchased in California and is currently fully smogged with a California emissions label. I can’t promise it will pass smog testing, but I can ensure all of the crucial parts are intact, including a functioning smog pump.

Highlights:
- rebuilt motor at 194k (trans and transfer resealed also)
- clutch done at 194k
- Long range fuel tank (43 gallons)
- OME leaf springs, mediums, great ride.
- No body rot, or significant rust to speak of (California/Texas life)
- Second owner
- Brand spankin new tires

This truck currently shows 212k miles. The 2f engine was rebuilt at 194k (out of precaution more than anything) and trans and transfer were resealed at that time. Oil pan was recently resealed, valves adjusted and fuel filter changed. Carb was rebuilt when the manifold was off for replacement manifold gasket (exhaust leak). EGR J-pipe was also resealed after being welded at the flange due to a crack.

The rear tail pipe section was replaced with a brand new Toyota unit only months ago. New mounts installed at the same time.

Fresh 33x10.50x15 BFG All Terrains were recently installed on the factory chrome steel wheels. I may have a picture or two mixed in with black wheels, these were temporary and won’t be included.

Power steering pump was replaced with new City Racer unit, works great.

Brakes were replaced front and rear. New Toyota shoes and wheel cylinders were used in the rear along with new hardware and springs. Bosch replacement rotors were used up front. Terrain tamer knuckle kit was installed at the same time, including wheel bearings and inner axle seal.

555 Tie rod end kit replaced the worn factory units.

CSF Radiator was installed recently and system flushed with fresh coolant, old radiator had a repair and didn’t trust it, never experienced any overheating events.

Long range fuel tank was recently removed, boiled out, repainted exterior and reinstalled….therefore looks brand-new, but it is an older model. Great for Big Bend trips!

IMG_0191.JPG

The Story

The original owner Bill was a good dude, Vietnam Veteran suffering from illnesses brought on by the wartime efforts. He carved out a decent living for himself and developed an attraction to travel and photography, which I grew to believe is what inspired him to buy an FJ60. Purchased in Southern California, he had a dealer install a flip up sunroof of sorts which he utilized for photography opportunities out in the field. Standing on each seat cushion to capture the perfect shot. Surprisingly this left no impact on the interior of the truck.

Next he added an OME medium suspension to give more ground clearance, although he preferred a modest 31’’ tire compared to the 33’’ it’s now sporting.

A long range fuel tank was added in the rear factory location giving the truck 43 gallons of fuel for longer stints before fueling up. A confer roof rack and a bolt on grill guard was included in the outfitting to prepare the cruiser for it’s next adventure. (Note *** I removed the confer rack and front grill guard but can be included if desired.)

Later Bill left the Army and decided to drive this 60 to Alaska and back, seeing sights I can only hope to encounter myself someday. During this trip is when this 60 received a number of it’s battle wounds, one small dent came from a rogue hail stone that surprised him at camp one night...just one lonely hail stone out of the big Alaska sky.

The windshield is adorned with many rock chips earned on the Dalton Highway, as a badge of honor I chose not to replace the windshield, it is good character and provides for stories to be told.

After returning from Alaska and Bill relocated from California to Texas. He felt the engine getting tired and was told excessive blow by meant a replacement would be needed. The work was trusted to a local shop in the Houston area. At 194189 miles (2007) a replacement Jasper engine was installed to the tune of $7,055.58. Many of the typical “while your there” fixes were done as well, rear main, clutch, hoses, tune up parts, etc. Trans and transfer case were resealed as well.

With a fresh engine the 60 continued on as a secondary vehicle for Bill, only serving as weekender duty and receiving minimal miles up until 2018 when I stumble across it in his front yard with a for sale sign. At the time I was wrenching on my 60 (blown motor) as I had the time here and there, slow progress meant an emptiness in my soul where a 60 used to be. I wanted to get behind the wheel again in the meantime and enjoy the pleasure of 60 ownership. A deal was struck based on Bill’s wishes for great care to be taken of his beloved 60. He bought it new in 1985 and watched me drive off with it in April 2018. I cannot imagine the attachment one would have after owning a cruiser for 30+ years. Being trusted with the ownership at this point was something I took seriously and thoroughly enjoyed, never intending to sell….as we always do with this addiction.

IMG_7495.JPG

the day I bought it

The Why

Selling was not in my plans when purchasing this truck. I sincerely enjoyed meeting Bill, hearing his stories, and caring for his truck. I clearly put my own stamp on it by bringing it back to a stock look, making the mechanicals bulletproof and putting some quality seat time in that will bring me smiles as I look back through the photographs for years to come.

My reason is simple, I have one cruiser that is “My Cruiser”. My cruiser is a 1986 FJ60 that I’ve owned since I was 17. I burned through it’s stock 2F and I have had big plans on the horizon for years, horizons I should say. I’ve changed course multiple times and lacked focus for a while. I’m getting busier, family is growing. Time to focus on one truck.

Other problem is this isn’t my only cruiser….I’ve acquired eight total!!! I have cruisers multiplying! Seriously though, I bought what I thought were good deals here and there and I’ve ended up with 8 projects. 8 projects need more focus and attention than I have to give so I’m buckling down and selling off 5 or 6, freeing up some cash to invest into my cruiser and take care of some future life plans.

This FJ60 is mechanically sound, original paint, hiding nothing. Ready for a lot of miles and adventures to be had!

Price: $19,500 OBO

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

Price: $19,500 OBO

Last edited:
After getting the new tires balanced properly (long story). I noticed a very slight vibration around 70. Evaluated the u joints and found a little play, very little....typically would have greased em up and ran it a while longer but didn’t want a vibe for the potential new owner.

A set of new OEM u-joints and she’s all smooth again.
3A5FCD91-68C7-4894-9874-21F86ADB434D.jpeg

73697A12-97BC-4AD6-AB3D-3F01AA962F02.jpeg

Went ahead and snagged a few shots while I had it up in the air.

C50F7CF4-E7FF-4376-AA69-8B6495ADD57F.jpeg

A3294CDD-B51A-4F9A-8F49-094AC347AA0C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom