San Antonio Cruiser Mechanics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishTown

TLCA Member #29560
Threads
Figured I'd start a thread about cruiser mechanics here in town or close by seeing as Cody ( @cwwfj60 ) will be off to greener pastures soon.

I read on the general 60 series forum that Alamo Auto Doctors does great work and that they know cruisers well. And everyone on the ACLC Facebook page seems to agree:

"Yes! They are great!! They did some work on my 4Runner (headers, custom exhaust, clutch...) Shop is run by husband/wife combo. Can't say enough nice things about them...I was referred to them by a service technician at Toyota all the way in Corpus Christi."

"Alamo Auto Doc is a good shop very nice husband/wife owners. He has a lot of experience with Toyotas."

"Yes they swapped a radiator on my fj40 and tuned the engine and carb. They were the only place that I called willing to do it. They also drove my truck back to me so I wouldn't have to go all the way across town. 10/10"

"Alamo auto doctors did my blown head gasket 5 years ago, no issues since. Very reasonable price. Would recommend"

If you know of any other good shops that are familiar with cruisers in the area, please post them up! Maybe the administrator can make this thread a sticky.

Hey guys, I got one I just thought of, Foreign Affair in Schertz. I know that's kind of out of the way for some of you guys but I can vouch for his quality and knowledge. Also used to be very fair on his prices but that's been a few years. I don't think he has ever had a website (think old school) but he does good work, big MG guy, also used to do a lot of land rover work and of course he brings in land cruisers from time to time. Owner's name is Bob and he will work on anything foreign even newer stuff.

Foreign Affair
Address: 124 Commercial Pl, Schertz, TX 78154
Phone: 210-658-8338

Thank you to both @cwwfj60 and @FishTown for the info.

If I find anything myself, I will be sure to post it here.

Last edited:
Cody, where are you moving to?

Hey guys, I got one I just thought of, Foreign Affair in Schertz. I know that's kind of out of the way for some of you guys but I can vouch for his quality and knowledge. Also used to be very fair on his prices but that's been a few years. I don't think he has ever had a website (think old school) but he does good work, big MG guy, also used to do a lot of land rover work and of course he brings in land cruisers from time to time. Owner's name is Bob and he will work on anything foreign even newer stuff.

Foreign Affair
Address: 124 Commercial Pl, Schertz, TX 78154
Phone: 210-658-8338

So I called Foreign Affair (Bob) and he said he can look at my cruiser but is booked for a few weeks so I asked him to go ahead and put me down. I will report back on my experience with him. He does not seem to enjoy talking on the phone much and likes to get to the point which I have no problem with.

So I called Foreign Affair (Bob) and he said he can look at my cruiser but is booked for a few weeks so I asked him to go ahead and put me down. I will report back on my experience with him. He does not seem to enjoy talking on the phone much and likes to get to the point which I have no problem with.

Ya I should have mentioned that, he's a little rough around the edges. Knows his stuff though

Cody, where are you moving to?
He's taking his talents to South Beach.

Technically it's north beach, but ya Miami bound next week!

Ya I should have mentioned that, he's a little rough around the edges. Knows his stuff though

He wasn't rude at all but it took some explaining to him what a FJ73 is.

Where are you Cody when my FJ73 really needs you. The engine in my FJ73 is idling very rough right now and I can't figure it out.

Hope your move to Miami went well by the time you read this.

Update: Due to Foreign Affair not calling me back, I decided to go with Alamo Doctors. I will report back but so far my experience with them has been very good. The wife runs the office and the husband is a mechanic.

Update: Due to Foreign Affair not calling me back, I decided to go with Alamo Doctors. I will report back but so far my experience with them has been very good. The wife runs the office and the husband is a mechanic.

Need to take my truck to them soon. How long of a wait list do they have right now?

It was about 5 days before they took it in.

I have to warn you...unlike Performance Cruisers (Cody), they demand some payment upfront before starting on it. Guess they have been burned by past customers not paying or because I am a new customer? Not really how I do business but I am willing to try them this one time and see how it goes. Will update when I get my cruiser back. They are very nice people.

It was about 5 days before they took it in.

I have to warn you...unlike Performance Cruisers (Cody), they demand some payment upfront before starting on it. Guess they have been burned by past customers not paying or because I am a new customer? Not really how I do business but I am willing to try them this one time and see how it goes. Will update when I get my cruiser back. They are very nice people.

fj73.jpg

Dropped mine off yesterday. Seems like he's got his hands full. There was a pair of 62's in there. One of them was an Australian truck with the 3FE Turbo. Sounds like the turbo caught the truck on fire - the other was the new truck that all the stuff from the burnt truck was being moved to. Very nice people. I didn't leave them with anything upfront, but he hasn't taken a look at it yet.

Was that you pulling in with the green FJ cruiser? I thought I have seen that FJ cruiser at the meetup. I was checking on the status of the repair and all seems to be coming along smoothly.

I noticed those FJ62s and how one was badly burned. I didn't know they are Aussie models though.

I got a call from Kim @ Alamo Auto Doctors telling me that everything is moving along good now that they finally got the correct head gasket yesterday. Should be done tomorrow but I don't think I can pick it up until Monday.

How is yours coming along FishTown?

Picked up the cruiser today. Running good so far. Took it to jiffy lube for state inspection and they failed it because the emergency brake won't pass. This is bull**** because it always works for me. Is there something I am missing in regards to the requirements of the emergency brake? Always something.....

Picked up the cruiser today. Running good so far. Took it to jiffy lube for state inspection and they failed it because the emergency brake won't pass. This is bull**** because it always works for me. Is there something I am missing in regards to the requirements of the emergency brake? Always something.....

You probably just had an over zealous inspection nazi... I'd just take it to another location.

In other news... You got your cruiser back, let's ride!

I am down for a ride. Just let me know when one is organized.

/begin rant/

As for the inspection, I am thinking the same. I understand if I failed it because of wipers, lights or horn but this is the first time I ever had an failed inspection for anything and of all things...for the e-brake. Maybe he was mad because I was using a 10% off coupon (yeah I am cheap) which is why I went there. When I had this cruiser inspected last time, it passed and it was at a jiffy lube also.

The e-brake works and holds the cruiser on a steep incline which is why I call BS on this inspection. I wanted to tell him where he could stuff the inspection report but I just bit my tongue, paid, said thanks and left.

/end rant/

I'd make them inspect it again man. They just punked you for using that coupon. Next time, bring a box of Wheaties with you and give it to the kid that couldn't yank your E-brake hard enough to hold your cruiser!

Anyway... I just got to Biffs and I'm gonna check out the scene here. As far as the ride goes man, just let me know when you wanna go and we'll head down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom