Same old motor questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

890man

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, here it is. I spun some rod bearings on my F motor. Its a late F out of a 12/74 FJ55. I know replacing just the bearings is not recomended but I may do it to just get around. I have done a lot of searching and even pm'd some people here to get some advice but I am now asking all of you. Are there some 2F's that would be better than others? What works best with the F head for higher compression? I would like to stick with the straight 6 for ease because this is a DD and I would like to get it back on the road soon. There are flat and domed pistons, will they both work with this head? A good used motor that I can "freshen up" would be ideal.

I do have sources for some f's but would like to get a little more power. Many years ago I rebuilt a 2f in my 78 FJ40 and was happy with the power. This rig is not a hard core trail beater but does see some lighter trails.

I know this thread has been done before and I have looked through them but I would really like to hear what you guys have to say. My wife is loosing faith in the old pig.

Thanks

If you've already spun the bearings for sure then you will not last long at all by just installing new ones. Like 5-10 min maybe. Just went through that with my neighbor kid (against my advice). Didn't work out well, had to do it again by reconditioning a different one like what you said you might do.

Save time and money and either do it right with the one you got or go the recondition route. 2F would be good idea like you said. Tell the wife to have some faith in the old beast, she's 30 yrs old and with a little love will make you proud again.

:beer:

I second the 2f vote. It is a good engine and you can find them pretty easy. Swapping isnt that big of a deal either.

I would suggest slapping new bearings in while you hunt down and refresh or rebuild a 2f. Once everything is ready, swap it out over a long weekend.

Just my .02

Rezarf <><

890man said:
Well, here it is. I spun some rod bearings on my F motor. Its a late F out of a 12/74 FJ55. I know replacing just the bearings is not recomended but I may do it to just get around. I have done a lot of searching and even pm'd some people here to get some advice but I am now asking all of you. Are there some 2F's that would be better than others? What works best with the F head for higher compression? I would like to stick with the straight 6 for ease because this is a DD and I would like to get it back on the road soon. There are flat and domed pistons, will they both work with this head? A good used motor that I can "freshen up" would be ideal.
Thanks

You need to get a 2F with the same head/pistons as yours.
if you have flat/bathtubs, get that
If you have domed, get that.

Makes sense about the pistons. Will I be safe with a motor in the 75-81 range. I seem to recall these are all the same. Its the later ones in the fj60 that are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom