Salvage Operation of 87208-60270 water pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lp2k

Had a couple of drinks.. saw a couple of things
Threads
Hey everyone , made a small mistake on trying to remove this pipe and I don’t want to make things worse, any ideas on how to reshape this into a perfect circle?

87208-60270 is NLA and has been DISCONTINUED!!

8BA9F9B9-FC25-45AC-BAFD-351C641F3BB9.jpeg

04547824-A856-4EE8-AB76-FEB1731A5BD5.jpeg

Last edited:
Something round and tapered would be best, like a brass drift. End of a round ratchet that you can gently rotate to open it up may also work. Anything with a conical shape you can insert. That or a socket on the outside that barely fits and you can rotate. Possibly a plumbers flaring tool set.

1624284751304.png

Hey everyone , made a small mistake on trying to remove this pipe and I don’t want to make things worse, any ideas on how to reshape this into a perfect circle?

View attachment 2709855

View attachment 2709856
A tiny hammer, a deep well socket that's close to the ID of the tube, and patience.

Lightly tap the brass tube while holding the socket inside against the area you need to "straighten". You will have to work this a bit, but you can get it back in shape.

thanks y’all - was able to use a craftsman socket which matched the top diameter to rebuild the roundness of the hole. Was able to use a adjustable wrench to run around it once to try and fix and flat spots. All I have left to fix is the flare itself. I am assuming the flare matters or else Toyota and other plumbing guys wouldn’t put them in the first place.

Last photo shows how deep I’m going in rebuilding fixing my heater hoses. Trying to get the the 2nd bolt of that pipe to replace the PHH. Not trying to break that last bolt … waiting on a long flex head 6 point 12mm to try and give it another go

5E7136B8-D736-439D-9DFD-0C276C3555AB.jpeg

90B712B7-5544-46A3-AA0E-78842F4FDAD0.jpeg

56FDBD66-F1CB-4A1A-9D3C-85A96C24DA04.jpeg

I've used a stepdrill for stuff like this in the past. Had to fix my heater core pipe at the firewall when I did head gasket job recently.
Spin it slowly in reverse in a cordless drill with a bit of lube on it.

View attachment 2709990
Sounds like a great idea for someone that's done it before. It could go very wrong in a big hurry though.......

Just tried to insert the step bit into it and I don’t like it lol 😂 going to run to the auto parts store see if they have a brake line rental tool I can see if I can just borrow and fix the flare (looks like a lip to me)

@NLXTACY any chance wits end may want to fab some of this up out of copper and stock them ? Pretty sure some copper pipe from Home Depot can make this happen lol

prob not, guess a lot of folks do the bypass.

Last edited:
Just tried to insert the step bit into it and I don’t like it lol 😂 going to run to the auto parts store see if they have a brake line rental tool I can see if I can just borrow and fix the flare (looks like a lip to me)

@NLXTACY any chance wits end may want to fab some of this up out of copper and stock them ? Pretty sure some copper pipe from Home Depot can make this happen lol
Shoot me a PM, I have about a dozen of these.

The flare is there for a stopping point for the clamp so the hose/clamp doesn't slip of the end of the tube. It is not the sealing surface. The sealing surface is the outer diameter of the tubing inboard from the flare. Looking at your picture that area has scratches, paint removed which needs to be cleaned up with some fine sandpaper any any burrs touched up with a fine file. The roundness of that tube can be restored by gradually rotating something like a large Phillips screwdriver inserted the tube and gently pushing while rotating many times. Afterwards apply of coat of paint.

I encountered the same issues there and the firewall. Fixed the same way with the same tools mentioned above haha. Mediocre minds.....? No leaks so probably fine.

When you put it all back together. Lube those parts up so you don't struggle. I like silicone dielectric grease.

prob not, guess a lot of folks do the bypass.

I mangled the metal heater line that passes through the firewall while getting a fused heater hose off and it looked a lot worse than yours. I did just what you did using a socket and worm drive hose clamp to massage it back to mostly round. I used a bit extra length hose and two clamps for a temporary fix. I bought a replacement pipe to fix it properly because I worried it would leak. This temporary fix as been in place leak free since 2005. I've actually replaced that hose at least once. I guess if I every tear into the dash I'll replace it.

I used a pair of round hose pliers from Harbor Freight to reshape one at the firewall.

Yea I have that and I was able to reshape it using the harbor freight hose pliers, those are amazing. Once I’m able to make the slit on the hose. I try to soak it with some PB blaster and start the twist. The hose behind the engine on the firewall is like baked on. I need to mix some rust remover to clean my hard pipes as they are an eye sore. I can’t wait to try to remove the PHH hard pipe…

You could also bypass the rear heater and be done with that pipe. The lines to the rear heater are a PIA to replace and are likely pretty corroded after 20 odd years.

Yea I have that and I was able to reshape it using the harbor freight hose pliers, those are amazing. Once I’m able to make the slit on the hose. I try to soak it with some PB blaster and start the twist. The hose behind the engine on the firewall is like baked on. I need to mix some rust remover to clean my hard pipes as they are an eye sore. I can’t wait to try to remove the PHH hard pipe…

I used a Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut those hoses then peeled them off. I cleaned that up with a stainless wheel brush on the Dremel.

Hobby knife/scalpel with a #11 blade works well to slice and dice hoses that are stuck onto a pipe and small enough to get to tight areas. I cut the hose lengthwise in few strips over the pipe then peel back one strip at a time. Once a strip of two are peeled back the rest will peel off easily IME. FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom