Saginaw Vs. stock FJ62 power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Simple question, really. Is the Saginaw better than a 62's stock PS system when running larger tires? If my steering box ends up giving out soon, I'd like to go Saginaw all the way if at all possible, instead of remaining stock. Though if the Saginaw system either can't be done or isn't stronger, I'll stay stock.

The common GM saginaw conversion would not be feasible for a '62. You *could* do a Scout. But there is really no reason. The '62 box is plenty strong.

Mark...

Yep. If you get to where you need more power, ram assist would be a much better way to go than a conversion IMHO.

Mark...

Mark W said:
Yep. If you get to where you need more power, ram assist would be a much better way to go than a conversion IMHO.

Mark...

Would my pump handle ram assist in addition to hydroboost brakes?

Spook50 said:
Would my pump handle ram assist in addition to hydroboost brakes?

Yes. There's a simple mod you need to do inside the pump to open up an orifice, to increase the flow. Search, it's out there somewhere.

KLF said:
Yes. There's a simple mod you need to do inside the pump to open up an orifice, to increase the flow. Search, it's out there somewhere.

I remember reading about a mod done to the steering box for ram assist, but modding the pump is new to me. I'll have to see what I can dig up now...

The 60 box is good.

the 60 pump sucks compared to a sag pump

Mace said:
The 60 box is good.

the 60 pump sucks compared to a sag pump

So for the best setup, a Toyota box running ram assist being powered by a Sag pump, huh?

I'd love to find a way to put a Sag pump in my rig if it is indeed better than a stock pump, but I have yet to see it done on a 62 :doh:

You need the smog pump?

Mace said:
You need the smog pump?

Negative, that bad boy's long gone. I was actually debating on trying to fab up a bracket that would allow for mounting a York there, but I don't think it'd fit in that area with all the other stuff I'm putting in (second battery, isolator, and relocated water bottle).

Use the stock smog pump mount to fab up a Sag bracket. I did it on my 40 with great succes..

Ps pump is right above that correct?

Mace said:
Use the stock smog pump mount to fab up a Sag bracket. I did it on my 40 with great succes..

Ps pump is right above that correct?

Not on a 3FE. With mine the smog pump is on the driver's side top, above the alternator. PS pump is on the passenger side top, above the A/C compressor. I suppose if I could make up a bracket that'd hold the pump down a bit to allow space for the reservoir and if I could get the pulley lined up perfectly with the others, it could be done...

Then I could mount the York in place of my factory PS pump! :D

Not real common, but there are remote reservoir Saginaw pumps.

The Toy pump is not totally outclassed in terms of output and pressure by the Sag. And like the Sag, it can be tweaked to up both.

But the Sag is a LOT cheaper to replace. ;)

Mark...

Mark W said:
...But the Sag is a LOT cheaper to replace. ;)

Mark...

Yeah, another big reason I've been curious about going Saginaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom