Saginaw steering repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to take my frame off around the block and I don't like the steering shaft I have installed. My Saginaw conversion was off another FJ40 and the u-joints are lose. I found napa part numbers for the joints in the tech section, they are about $8 so no big deal. However the slip shaft is bent a bit, either that or the weld to the round steel is off. Anyway, I want to replace the joints and the slip shaft, the joints as I said are easy, however Napa has no listing that we could find for the slip shaft, I did however find one at summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BRG%2D409436&N=700+400016+303811+115&autoview=sku

As far as I can tell this is what I have now, except I have a spud shaft that comes off the gear box, and the shaft slips over the spud shaft. So is this what I need?

Last edited:
Looks likeit to me.

It also looks like you might need a different end on it.

The "male" part is 3/4" DD the "female" end woudl be larger and might need a different U-joint..

at one point i found one on summit with a 1"dd on one end and 3/4" on the other.. then found the matching Borgeson U-joints.. you may just upgrade and go with some badass u-joints while your at it! i know they are $60 a pop, but it may be worth it so you dont have to mess with it again!

i used Afco U-joints on mine (not the napa ones) and they are already worn out!

The male end of the current shaft is welded to a piece of 1" round steel. The end of the piece of round steel is tack welded and bolted to a spicer joint. I want to replace the "male" portion where the bend, and some rust exists. So I think I just need the male part, butt I will order the whole kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom