Saginaw steering issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
Hey guys, been chasing a steering issue on my 40 and could use some help. This is a full Saginaw (3.5 turn) setup with @orangefj45 kit and the “ham” can/Volvo pulley. It started loosing assist when wheeling in 4WD, basically feels chunky with bursts of assist and non-assist when turning. I get some whine when it’s doing it. I’ve tried tightening and have replaced the belt, PS fluid level fine. It’s gotten progressively worse, where it now does it in 2WD in parking situations. I should note the 40 is locked (ARB) on 35s. What should I try next? Replace pump? Rebuild box?

thx!
Tucker

Any possibility you don't have enough belt wrap around the P.S. pump pulley, should wrap 50% of the pulley, not just barely kiss it. Belt should only go from crank to P.S. pulley, then directly back to crank, that's how you get a 50% wrap.

If you hear a whine (as opposed to a belt screeching), that describes a pump problem. Pumps whine when they are low on fluid. Is it possible you ran it low on fluid and you now have air in the box and system? Good luck.

Sounds like you‘re losing the pump Tucker

Updates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom