Saginaw steer box fitment issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing some work on a 76 FJ40. My steering box was pretty loose. Just point the rig down the road and make steering corrections with about 10 degrees dead play.

I removed my steering box and drove down to Red Head Steering in Auburn. They said they had my steering box sitting on the shelf so I swapped a 3 turn box for a 4.25. Now I'm installing it and it does not fit. It's hard to tell exactly what is hitting but the front of the steering box as it will not sit flush along the frame. Holes don't really line up and there is a protrusion between the rear two bolt that would also would keep it from sitting flush if I could get it closer.
I've search the FAQ section on Saginaw and looked at the scab boards and mine is clearly home made by my father...rest in peace.
Here are my questions (or you might have answers I don't know I had a question for):
1. Are there very close variant of the GM 4 bolt steering that could have fooled the Red Head guy hence I'm way off in the correct steering box?
2. Isn't there usually a metal tube passing through the frame where the input shaft goes through to add strength?
3. Should remove the home made mess and start over?

Thanks

Why not look up the number that was CAST into the metal of your old steering box and order another rebuilt unit of that same number?

Why not look up the number that was CAST into the metal of your old steering box and order another rebuilt unit of that same number?
That steering box is swapped out. Ill call Red Head tomorrow, hopefully they still have, otherwise, I need to make this one work.

Take a look at the photos in this thread. I think the large end (closest to the front of the vehicle) is larger than your original box and hitting other parts. You might need to either add some washers to space it out or grind/cut additional clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom