Saginaw Pump Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, like so many other folks, the power steering pump gave up the ghost on my FJ60. Leaked all over the place. Luckily, I don't have an air pump, but it did cause me to have to replace the motor mount.

Anyhow, I replaced it with a rebuilt pump. Lasted about 1 1/2 years until it started doing the same thing. I know, I should have bought an OEM.

I was thinking about my situation and decided to put in a Saginaw pump instead of the OEM. My reason is that I'm currently on 33" tires and feel that the Toyota pump was at it's limit. The Saginaw should be able to handle larger tires (future project). I run one on the FJ40 with 36" tires and it works great. And being cheaper and available everywhere (at least in the US) didn't hurt either.

I have so many projects going on that I decided to go the easy route. I purchased a bracket from Iron Pig Offroad. Very nice bracket. Also purchased a wide pulley from Lance while I was at it (thanks Lance).

The pulley Lance sold me uses a tapered bushing in the center. This allows you to change out the center of the pulley for different shaft setups. I ordered the one with a 3/4" bore. Nice wide pulley. Was surprised it was so heavy (made of cast iron).

Anyhow, had the bracket and the pulley. Now for the pump. Went down to the local junk yard and got a pump for $10. After getting it home, I decided not to use it. While the shaft was 3/4", it was not keyed. Don't know if that would have made a difference or not, but I wanted to bolt this thing on and not worry about it for a while. Plus, the return line wasn't exactly how I wanted it.

So off to Napa I went. After looking through the parts catalogs, it seemed that all the keyed shaft pulleys have 5/8" shafts. So I ordered a new tapered bushing for the center of the pulley with a 5/8" bore. Glad you can just replace the center section of the pulley.

I bought the generic Saginaw pump (20-6000) from Napa. $54 + core. Glad I had bought that junker pump since I needed the cap from it anyhow and the core was more than I paid for the junker. Limited lifetime warranty on the Napa unit.

After purchasing a few needed bolts and washers, I was set. Well, I thought I was. Turns out that the pulley is so wide that very little of the shaft sticks out. And you have to put a nut on to hold the pulley onto the shaft. Luckily this was easy to fix since my friend has a lathe. Just cut a countersink into the center for the nut. 5 minutes and I now had a custom wide pulley.

The install was as straight forward as you could ask for. The bracket bolted onto two head bolts. Pump bolted right up. Stock pressure line screws right in and is in the right location. Stock return line hooks right up. Everything was like it was made for it. All went well. Just one more stop at Napa for a nice wide belt and I was set.

It works great! Lots of power. Some may not like that much power assist, but I like it. After many months of strong arm steering, it's quite a welcome change. And I know I'm really going to like it when wheeling. The setup looks so clean that you would think it came that way from Toyota. And now I have two belts that run the water pump: one from the power steering, and one from my Leece alternator.

So I'd say this was a great easy project. And while I spent a little more buying the bracket, pulley, and pump, I'm sure I still came in quite a bit less than OEM. And in my opinion, I think it's an upgrade.

I saw one of lances brackets for the saginaw pump on a 2f at the BBRC fall crawl, it was a slick little peice. I wonder if me makes one for a 3f.....

So, you saw a definite improvment over stock with this setup?

Got any pics for posterity?

-Matt

I'll try to snap a few this afternoon.

does this bracket that facilitates the use of the GM pump allow for the retention
of the smog pump... not that I care but just wanted to know?

how does one contact "Lance"?

I would like to see some pics of this too.

Even though I've only have a LC for a few months, and I've had to replace
the p/s pump too... I've felt that the P/s pump did not provide the appropriate level of assist, but thats my view. I did buy a OEM p/s pump as a replacement, but if I have to do this again anytime soon... A GM pump is going on, if the bracket and install is fairly easy as you describe above.

Yes. Lance is at www.ironpigoffroad.com. I don't think the bracket or pulley are on the web site.

I don't have the smog pump, so I can't say for sure that you can keep the smog pump. However, it looks like there would be plenty of room. In fact, it looks like more room than before. Has me thinking of another alternator or perhaps air compressor.

I'm running the belt from the middle crank pulley, with the alternator on the motor side pulley and the a/c on the radiator side pulley. The bracket has slots in the top to adjust it forward and back. I have it all the way forward and it lines up with the middle pulley. I didn't try it, but it may be able to be pushed back and line up with the motor side pulley.

Got home late and so I didn't get a chance to snap any pics. Will try again tonite.

I was surprised to hear that the hoses hooked right up. Does that apply in all cases? All FJ60 hoses would thread right into all saginaw pumps? Just curious as I am doing a v8 conversion and wanted to keep my saginaw pump that is on the '92 motor that I'm using and thougt that I needed a new hose for it.

Thanks!

I was surprised too that the pressure line hooked right up. I read (I'm sure it was somewhere here) that it would. Spector shows the same pump for 8/81 through 8/87 FJ60s, so at least all those should hook right up.

After a couple of day of driving it, it's just wonderful to have power steering again. Definate upgrade.
PICT0442.JPG

btt..

does anyone know what belts this conversion uses? I need two new belts - one for the water pump, crank, to saginaw ps pump, and one from the crank, water pump to alt...

thanks!

bk

ttt....

anyone have an idea on the belt lengths?

bk

WARNING:

This setup will not work on a 60 that has the smog pump. My 60 has the smog pump. I now have an iron pig - Saginaw bracket and pulley for sale.

The reason is that once you remove the old bracket you can no longer tension the air pump.

Last edited:
WARNING:

This setup will not work on a 60 that has the smog pump. My 60 has the smog pump. I now have an iron pig - Saginaw bracket and pulley for sale.

The reason is that once you remove the old bracket you can no longer tension the air pump.

Thanks slakjaw, I've been looking into this upgrade myself.

WARNING:

Not quite sure what you saying here. Remove what bracket? I have replaced my smog pump with a second alt but i retained the factory smog pump mounting bracket. The smog (air) pump tensioner is on the smog pump bracket not on the power steering bracket so I am having difficulty understanding why the IPOR bracket wont work when you remove the power steering bracket and replace with theirs

I was surprised too that the pressure line hooked right up. I read (I'm sure it was somewhere here) that it would. Spector shows the same pump for 8/81 through 8/87 FJ60s, so at least all those should hook right up.

After a couple of day of driving it, it's just wonderful to have power steering again. Definate upgrade.

Where did you get this pulley? I have been looking all over for one with no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom