Saginaw PS Pump Troubleshooting Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to start a new thread as I'm not sure if the old Saginaw thread is getting a lot of views.

Finally!!!! Saginaw PS pump conversion kit for FJ60s!!!!!

So a little back story decided to replace my PS pump and put in the Saginaw conversion. Install went smoothly no issues however on the first pump i pressed the pulley on instead of using the tool, when finishing with the tool i snapped the bolt in the shaft. Put it on and ran it for a little while until it was extremely loud so i figured i bent the shaft or damaged the housing some how.

Second Pump:

Decided to get a new pump and pulley, rented the proper tool and installed the pulley properly. Reinstalled the Saginaw Pump, went through the bleed and fill cycle using PS Fluid. The pump is still groaning like a grandma how the OEM would when it is low on fluid but my system is topped off. I decided to switch the Red ATF Fluid see if it made a difference, bleeding and flushing the system through 2 quarts before topping off and working fluid into the system. As of last night the system is still groaning and it sounds like its the pump still.

Does anyone have experience with this, is it possible with the Sag pump operating at a higher PSI than the OEM one i am having Steering Gear Box issues now, and need a rebuild? Or am i missing a simple solution. I love the look and cleanliness of the saginaw pump but if i cant get it to stop groaning may have to go back to OEM. My last option is maybe i got a bad Saginaw pump?

See video below of the noise.

I appreciate any help. @FJ40Jim @gregnash @orangefj45

I'm no expert but Saginaw pumps seem to run fine on ATF or power steering fluid.
With two pumps making the noise I'd guess there is still air in the system. I think most steering box troubles are leaks.
Did you replace the lines? And did your Saginaw have multiple ports to choose from?

I replaced both lines with new pressure lines.
Doesn't appear to be any bubbles in the fluid either.
Saginaw had just two ports on for the pressure seal line and the other coming out the bottom. The other two mounting holes were sealed with bolts. Ill attach a picture/video of it off and running.

At first my sag pump groaned just like yours, then i did a better job of bleeding and the groan went away...over a month now and all is still good.

Here is what I did, maybe it will help you:

1) raised both front wheels off the ground
2) I used red Valvoline syn ATF
3) with the engine OFF, Slowly take the steering wheel lock to lock 20-30 times
4) frequently check your fluid level and add as necessary

Ok i did step 3 with the engine on........So all i did was suck a ton of air in the system?

Ok i did step 3 with the engine on........So all i did was suck a ton of air in the system?

Yea, I did too at first. Might be your issue. Try it with the engine off..lock to lock...20-30 times...slowly.

Bump. After long weekend driving and trying to work any air out of the system. The pump is still whining not sure what else i can do

Could be just a bad pump...my 'new' Sag pump was actually a rebuilt Oriellys pump.

If you still have your receipt, I'd return it for a different one.

ya possible only thing that sucks is getting the pulley off...... mine was also a rebuilt pump but my second one.

Pulley shouldn't be hard to pull off.

For $20 or so you can purchase a pulley removal/install kit. Or, at least on my Sag pulley, I can just use a common 3 jaw puller. And if you are driving around in an old 60, it's a good idea to have those things around anyway...good investments.

Last edited:
I just installed a new Sag. pump in my '83 GMC 2500 over the weekend. My GM pulley was very difficult to remove and harder yet to install, using a pulley-puller tool.

To flush the system, the instructions said to pull the return line off the pump, cap the pump port (to keep the pump body full), and crank (not start) the engine and let the fluid run out of the return line into a container. You almost need 2 people - one to keep pouring fluid into the PS pump as you crank the engine. It will quickly run out of fluid otherwise, and introduce air into the system.

Bump. After long weekend driving and trying to work any air out of the system. The pump is still whining not sure what else i can do

Some pumps are not well rebuilt and will whine, even with air-free fluid in a well-bled system. Avoid A-1 Cardone reman'd pumps, if possible. Or, live with it for another week or so and see if it gets better, worse, or stays the same - then swap it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom