Saginaw power steering Vs. Stock Toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
Any opinions on the difference between aftermarket Saginaw setup vs the Stock Toyota? I'm really torn on weather to start with a pre or post 1975 this time around and the stock power steering will be a factor in that dission.

Thanks

What do you plan to do with the 40? Big tires and hard core off road driving, I would opt front the Saginaw P/S. Tires 35" or less and mild wheeling the Toyota P/S would be fine.

My 2 cents.

Saginaw requires cutting the front crossmember, but it also eliminates several pieces of the steering system, making the steering more direct (fewer middle men to get the job done).

I believe that the (Saginalw) Astro van box doesn't not require quite as much frame butchery. It's mounted more like a 60 series box.

I'm really torn on weather to start with a pre or post 1975 this time around and the stock power steering will be a factor in that dission.

Thanks

well then you're going to be disappointed, oem power steering only showed up as option in '79.

I run Saginaw steering with 31" tires. I can steer the truck with my pinky. On small tires, Saginaw feels almost overboosted. It also likes more caster angle than stock - I had to add caster shims to get the wheels to re-center out of the turn. Easy fix but something to keep in mind! With larger tires it would probably be great.

That said, it beats strong-arming!

As @brian mentioned, you're going to need to look for a very late 70's or early 80's FJ40 to get stock power steering.

Mark's Off Road has an excellent write up in the FAQs.

Summary:

Stock 40 & Mini truck - Power Assist - Adequate for up to 33" depending on driving style - Good road feel.

60/70/80 - Power Steering - Stronger than 40 Series - Some road feel.

Saginaw/Scout II (Saginaw) - Power Steering - Over Boosted by some standards - Larger tires & Off road use - Little to no road feel.

In my case, I'll need over boosted to keep driving my rig. Scout II is in the future.

Don't know anyone local that has the small 33" tires still, Saginaw power steering works well driving to and from the Rubicon Trail with 38x14.5x18 BFG Mud terrains. Don't do much freeway or mall four wheeling any more. Only drive and do the Rubicon Trail all summer. and some of winter.

I like the Saginaw. Been working real well for me. A good installer can make it look like it came on the that way. I've seen some hack jobs that you would have to cut the whole thing off the frame to replace or service the box.

Under 35s OEM / mini truck. Also much easier to install.

Over 35s Saginaw.

I went back and forth on this one...first it was Scout, then Saginaw, ultimately I decided to use an early FJ-80 steering setup...

Scout boxes are hard to find and getting very expensive, compared to other options.

Saginaw boxes I felt did too much to the frame as far as welding components.

A lot of all types to choose from and I don't think you'll find much in regrets or "should have done it differently"...

I went back and forth on this one...first it was Scout, then Saginaw, ultimately I decided to use an early FJ-80 steering setup...

Scout boxes are hard to find and getting very expensive, compared to other options.

Saginaw boxes I felt did too much to the frame as far as welding components.

A lot of all types to choose from and I don't think you'll find much in regrets or "should have done it differently"...

Depends on where you are. 80 boxes are pricey here and I found a Scout II box for <$100. Unless something changes, I'll need two finger steering to keep driving.

Mark's Off Road has an excellent write up in the FAQs.

Summary:

Stock 40 & Mini truck - Power Assist - Adequate for up to 33" depending on driving style - Good road feel.

60/70/80 - Power Steering - Stronger than 40 Series - Some road feel.

Saginaw/Scout II (Saginaw) - Power Steering - Over Boosted by some standards - Larger tires & Off road use - Little to no road feel.

Road feel? It's a leaf sprung, solid axle, short-wheelbase truck. I feel the road with every part of my body. A little less road feel through the hands is no big deal when I feel it so copiously through my ass. ;)

BTW, for all the comments about a Saginaw steering conversion feeling too powerful/too sloppy/loosing road feel, that's because at some point all y'all decided that a 4-plus turn Saginaw box was the way to go- - -evidently you didn't check into Saginaw gear box ratios. The 4 1/4 turn boxes have a 20 to 1 ratio (over kill for your Landcruiser), the 3 1/2 turn box has a 16 to 1 ratio, still power steering, but much better feel of the road, not sooooo mushy on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom