Saginaw Power Steering Upgrade - 1974 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The GM Saginaw PS conversion has been carried out for ages. Man-A-Fre used to sell a kit for 40’s owners, probably adaptable to 55’s. One of the old local 55 owners in my area converted to the Saginaw box sometime in the 80’s without a kit. Most of these conversions are a hacked-up cluster f*€k, but @DoubleNickels here did a fine job, a fine job!

Well sure, I know there is a Saginaw kit for a 40. I just did one on my 40.

Just have never seen this type done on a 55

Someone just got done fixing a PO’s botched attempt at one not too long ago, can’t remember who. The input flange was rubbing the PS pump and the pitman arm was rubbing the oil pan, or something to that effect. Last winter I think, guy in Canada.

I'll snap some pictures with the wheel removed, stay tuned. And thanks for giving more detail on what's involved with the other steering options.

Just noticed this on @Guster ’s thread Blue Chuck Pig, from February 2018. On a pig that had been sitting for quite awhile.

FC192C82-F0A1-4832-AA1E-E8640FCA0ED7.jpeg

"You have options there but I chose this because it sits low and out of the way and doesn’t require tying into head bolts. I originally tried to mount the pump lower on the bracket and ended up hogging out a bunch of metal to make things clear. Bad move, don’t do that. "

Would you please explain this some more? What was your interference? I'm committed to using 1F air cleaner due to 2F/flat hood and Georg told me the saginaw pump would interfere with air cleaner by about two inches. Is is possible to lower the pump mounting position on his bracket this far?

Thanks

"You have options there but I chose this because it sits low and out of the way and doesn’t require tying into head bolts. I originally tried to mount the pump lower on the bracket and ended up hogging out a bunch of metal to make things clear. Bad move, don’t do that. "

Would you please explain this some more? What was your interference? I'm committed to using 1F air cleaner due to 2F/flat hood and Georg told me the saginaw pump would interfere with air cleaner by about two inches. Is is possible to lower the pump mounting position on his bracket this far?

Thanks

You can get a BJ40 air cleaner setup for the passenger side

This a great thread!

First pass at 50k feet and I can see why you would want to do this!

It sounds like there are plenty of rear facing boxes out there (if you can bring yourself to go 3-bolt).

I like the nice secure location of the box - inside the frame rail. Less moment arm applied to the frame rail than a box that mounts on the outside of the rail (60 or Scout), and less likely to suffer any insult.

With that said, I don't think I could ever pull that off if I want to keep my silly PTO winch (that I will probably never use!).

Unless I'm mistaken, that 60/scout setup lil John shows still required some modification and fabrication. Maybe the shock tower? Maybe cutting the sheet metal within the wheel well? Lil John can fill us in, help elucidate the trade offs. Personally, I worried the Scout boxes are becoming rare and don't love the feel of the 60 boxes compared to Saginaw.

Yes, shock tower has to move/change. The Ford F-250 shock tower is a great fix. And yes, I think you are cutting the inner fender.

For the record, I do like the feel of a 60 PS box, but I am only running 33s.

I have 60 PS pump and box on both the 40 and 55 - well the 55 is running a 62 PS pump on the 3FE - and I like the feel of both.

The 55 has 33x10.5 and the 40 has 33x12.5.

And just to keep life interesting, there are 2 different bolt patterns to the 60/62 boxes. I ended up with both, so I can't just swap back and forth for a rebuild.

Both boxes leak a little...

I'll snap some pictures with the wheel removed, stay tuned. And thanks for giving more detail on what's involved with the other steering options.

I would be interested in this picture as well!
Like I said before the location of this box seems very secure. Curious how your angles came out, and how the custom pitman arm looks.
Thanks again for the write-up!

Well I finally have my mini truck power steering swap 100% dialed in so I am not going to be doing the Scout style Saginaw after all.

I have this brand new AGR Scout Box if anyone wants it. I know the owner of the company so I can ensure warranty goes with the box.

This thing is pure beef. $550 to include a set of F250 shock towers.

I’ll put up a FS ad if no one following this wants it

0F91D269-182D-4B0D-89DE-EDD64F21D6A5.jpeg

0C90990E-2D5D-4B04-9315-6F4922C45A2B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom