Saginaw power steering pump differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to the pull-a-part today and picked up what I thought was a "canned ham" pump. Upon inspecting it I realized it looks a little different. Looks like it'll still fit but wanted to make sure. It's a 3/4" diameter shaft, non-keyed so may end up having to go the Grainger pulley method unless there are other options. Or should I punt this one (only cost me $16) and get the one I often see and the keyed pulley?

20200314_210625.jpg

20200314_210613.jpg

Just run down to your local O'Reilly, Auto Zone, etc and get the correct pulley for what you have. Also available from Jegs, Summit, etc.
FWIW, if you do a lot of wheelin' be sure you pack the correct puller/install tool. Late model pulleys aren't coming off (or on) without the correct tool.

My main question was can I use this pump. I'm thinking I can since it appears to only be the reservoir shape that's different. But the other factor in the later models including this one is the larger shaft (3/4") without the pulley key.

I'm also concerned that the GM pulleys will be too narrow for the Toyota belts. Someone had mentioned using the Grainger pulleys that use a specific sized hub mounted separately to the pulley.

Saginaw pumps typically put out the same 1200 psi. Cans are generally interchangeable. For the pulley you might reach out to Georg at Valley Hybrids at @orangefj45

You can get away with the thin belt that fits the gm stock power steering pulley ,just not as cool as the wide Toyota belt.
I ended up making my own pulley set up by taking the gm pulley and cutting it down enough to where I could use a Toyota water pump pulley over top of it It took a lot of trial and error but it works.

I believe the newwer ones ( mine was off a 95 Yukon ) are metric threads , where the hi pressure hose threads onto the pressure valve on back of pump. I re used the one off my 69 model so I didn't need to change out the hp hose to my Scout p/s box. Seems like West Texas Offroad had an artical on there website talking about adjusting the pressure valve for off road use. Hth, Al

I personally prefer saginaw pumps that were designed to work with hydroboost brake setups. Mid 80's GM pickups w/hydroboost. They make a bit more pressure and have a bit more flow at idle.

I personally prefer saginaw pumps that were designed to work with hydroboost brake setups. Mid 80's GM pickups w/hydroboost. They make a bit more pressure and have a bit more flow at idle.
What calipers do you use with a Hydroboost set up?

I am talking about the pump. It makes more pressure and flow at idle. Has nothing to do with your brakes. Makes your steering effort a bit easier.

Ok so it looks like either this pump and/or the pulley aren't going to work. Alignment is off and will get worse when the hub pulls the pulley forward. Others have used the Grainger pulleys so that's probably not the issue. I still cant tell if this style pump is different than the earlier canned ham pumps. Maybe it is thicker down at the bottom. I've been trying to call Georg @ Valley for a few days now to get advice and maybe just give up and buy the custom pulley. Just hard to spend nearly $100 on a pulley. Maybe it's worth it to not have to worry about it.

20200319_200326_copy_518x668.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom