Saginaw Power Steering Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys.....

Those of you who are running the Saginaw power steering boxes and pumps....... what do you hear?

First off, my steering stops on the inside and outside of the knuckles are adjusted so that the steering box can turn fully (lock-to-lock) to driver and passenger side as limited by the steering box.

When parked on concrete (Cruiser not rolling) I feel resistance in the steering and it squeals when I turn the wheels about 15 Deg. to the driver side of the straight ahead position. I also have a squeal when I turn the wheels fully to the passenger side.

If I fight the steering and work it to the fully driver side direction, I can then turn the wheel all the way from driver side to passenger side without any squeal. It will feel perfectly normal as long as I keep rotating the steering back and forth from lock to lock. Let it sit or drive it and the squeal starts up again. Also, if I park, I have the same experience of feeling resistance at 15 Deg. toward driver side and the squealing.

If the wheels are even slightly rolling, I can turn the steering from lock to lock but I have squealing at both extremes.

Another bit of info: If I place the front axle on jack stands and turn from lock-to-lock, I don't feel the steering resistance at 15 Deg. but I do hear the squeal at ends of travel. With the engine off, I can turn the wheels from lock-to-lock without feeling any resistance along the way (no binding at the mysterious 15 Deg. spot)

I'm ready to order a new steering box. I don't think it is the belt being too loose; it is as tight as I can get it and I have replaced the belt. And, there are times (as stated above) where everything seems normal without the squeal. I also replaced the fluid. Perhaps a relief valve somewhere not functioning properly??

Just wondering if you experience squeal at ends of steering travel?

Thanks.....

Well yes!!! First problem is you can not have the gear box act as the steering stops, you must meet the stops on the knuckle first. Next, all PS gear boxes squeal at full stop, normally belt squeal no matter how tight the belt is because you are stalling the gear box and forcing the belt to slip. Next, get your box rebuilt, I have no idea what the internal problem is. Next, some may not agree, but your gear box must be in it's dead center location (from stop to stop) when the tires are straight forward in the 12 o-clock position. It could be possible that your gear box is already set 15 degrees off center?????

X2^^ adust your stops in some and what belt are you running? I have seen some run a skinny belt on a fat pulley and get what you are describing. If I have had to run different size pulleys I have better luck running a fat belt in a skinny pulley. It distorts the belt but it doesn't slip.

Thanks, Jim and Shawnfj40.......

I'm using the narrow belt in a narrow pulley; tried the fit of a wider belt, but there seemed to be more contact area with the pulley using the thin belt.

Jim..... you mentioned getting my box rebuilt. Just curious ..... what part of my problem suggests to you that the box is faulty? By the way, rather than taking the time to get my box rebuilt, I went ahead and ordered another one. I'm keeping my old box. Is the indexing of the box (the 15 Deg.) something that is done by the rebuilder or is it a result of me installing the box off-center with the wheels and steering column??

As you share your thoughts, I'll mention two things that suggest to me the box is defective: (1) my squeak and bind at 15 Deg. is intermittent, and (2) there are times while sitting in the exact same spot in my driveway when the steering is perfectly normal without bind and without squeak despite all the other variables we have talked about (steering stops, belt width, belt tightness, etc.).

I appreciate your comments on this as I try to understand what is happening. I'm generally not one to throw money at a problem and replace parts without knowing they are defective. There is some urgency to solving this problem though.

Last edited:
It's probably your belt. A thin belt will stretch even when tight. The pump makes a lot of resistance. If the belt slips, the steering will feel like its binding. Start the engine and confirm its squealing like you described, then spray the belt with some wd40 or belt dressing while its running and then see if it still squeals. If it goes away, then its the belt. Usually the belt should be a wide one for ps and tight..

I'm not thinking it's a belt problem because the belt doesn't know when the box is at 15 degrees, therefore now magically time to squeak??? I'm thinking the box may have been set a 15 degrees off center when the tires were straight ahead. I did this once and the box didn't squeak, but it did always try to dart back to center, making the steering very unpredictable. You could send your box to AGR, get the rebuild, but also get their dual stage valving installed.

It would be easy enough to check what Jim is suggesting. If your using the box for stops left and right just turn the wheel all the way from one side to the other while you count the turns. Then turn the wheel back 1/2 of those turns and you should see you wheels pointed straight. If you don't then adjust accordingly. I guess since you ordered a new box you could ust do it all at once.

I will have the new steering box here this week. Before I remove my old one I will do the tests as you guys have suggested.

By the way.... I sent a note to AGR (my old box is a AGR) and they suggested sending it to them for repairs. In their words...: "If it is the box it will cost me $XXXX."

Thanks to all........

I thought I would bring closure to this thread by summing up what fixed my problems. First, I installed the re-built steering box. That solved the problem of not wanting to turn past 15 Deg. toward driver side. I will tear apart the old box to see what happened inside. But, by turning the input shaft it has "jerky" and "resistanct" movement which should not be there.

The new box had no affect on the "squeal". I solved this problem by running dual belts from the crank pulley around the power steering pulley. Even so.....the belts must be tight!

Again, thanks for your guidance along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom