Saginaw jerky jerk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
So what might be a cause of this: When cold and turning the tires (35's) while stopped the steering is jerky and struggles to turn at all. Not an issue when warmed up. Box is tight and leak free. Pump is a low mile rebuilt, average quality. Belt is tight, no squeals. Can sometimes feel the same when pushing hard against immovable bolders.

Low pressure from a weenie pump?

thick fluid, how cold?

i switched to ATF in my cruiser a while back, just cause every now and again regular PS fluid got so thick it would build so much pressure that it would blow the low pressure return hose. 5 times it blew apart, so i got sick and switched to ATF, no problems since.

I have run ATF in mine from the get-go. No issues, but my tires are just 31's.

GL

Ed

Hi All:

Cliff, sorry to hear about your problem!

I have the Saginaw P/S swap on my FJ40 as well. Have not experienced any issues like you describe.

Have you tried the synthetic P/S fluid yet?

Good luck!

Alan
Seattle

HI^C said:
thick fluid, how cold?

i switched to ATF in my cruiser a while back, just cause every now and again regular PS fluid got so thick it would build so much pressure that it would blow the low pressure return hose. 5 times it blew apart, so i got sick and switched to ATF, no problems since.

Ok, cold is relative in these parts. It's Fall now and the highs are below 90f. Finally!

I've always run ATF. Tried synthetic PS fluid once, in another vehicle. Can't say if it was good or bad. I never had the chance to see if it was wearing any less.

Don't know if it helps but, with just 32s if against a boulder or otherwise jammed mine will hesitate until I rev the engine above idle a bit. I guess it gets it pumping more pressure and gives it the power it needs.

So does yours do the same if you rev it a little, or does it not matter?

HawkDriver said:
Don't know if it helps but, with just 32s if against a boulder or otherwise jammed mine will hesitate until I rev the engine above idle a bit. I guess it gets it pumping more pressure and gives it the power it needs.

So does yours do the same if you rev it a little, or does it not matter?

Yeah I guess it helps. Usually the situation I notice it in means reving, braking, clutching and steering are somehow mutually exclusive. Like trying to manuver a cold rig out of the garage and past the trailer. :D

This sound somewhat similar to my saginaw pump problem, but less severe. I'm running a mini truck box. I haven't been able to test the theory yet but the info I'm getting is to bleed the air out by jacking up the front and turning lock to lock untill air bubbles clear. Just a thought...the only other advice I got so far was that the pump ring could've been installed backward during rebuild.

ATF/Lucas Oil Treat

Run ATF and put in a pint of the Lucas Oil power steering treatment. I think it's Lucas. It's in the white bottles. It's actually good stuff. Will stop small leaks, but mainly helps with tight spots in the steering, screaming pump, etc..

Mine would turn 39.5" tires on pavement good. But, Have hydro assist now.

J.R.

amandap said:
This sound somewhat similar to my saginaw pump problem, but less severe. I'm running a mini truck box. I haven't been able to test the theory yet but the info I'm getting is to bleed the air out by jacking up the front and turning lock to lock untill air bubbles clear. Just a thought...the only other advice I got so far was that the pump ring could've been installed backward during rebuild.

I don't think air in the system is the issue. It was properly bled the last time I messed with it, several years ago.

I guess it could be sucking air some where? I'll have to check the return line.

mine does that shiat. just cruising down flat spot on trail and can't turn . Rev it and wait like 3 seconds and problem gone. I think it is air bubbles in system and if you have a ps fluid cooler make sure the cooler is lower than the fluid in pump or the cooler will gravity drain and suck air in every time you shut it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom