Saginaw box mounting angle: level or...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
So I am about to weld in the Sag box mounting plate and I got to thinking... (a bad idea generally). Should the box mount as level as possible? I have seen pictures where that appears to be the case and some where it looks like it is angled up towards the steering column.

Before I weld I'd like to get a little more input.

Pics for examples...

Level:

1650506628325.png

Angled up:

1650506673991.png

I angled mine up and mounted it pretty low relative to some others. Can't say why I did it that way, its been way too long. I used a Wagoneer pitman arm that was pretty flat. I have not had any issues, but the truck really hasn't seen years & years of use.

That first photo you posted looks like FC Fab. Anything that guy does is the right way to do things. I don't think you can go wrong here as long as you choose the right pitman arm and just make sure everything clears before burning in for good.

Another FC Fab install here:

C:\Users\Evan Whe\Pictures\Cruiser - Resized\FJ40-1535.JPG

C:\Users\Evan Whe\Pictures\Cruiser - Resized\FJ40-1648.JPG

C:\Users\Evan Whe\Pictures\Cruiser - Resized\FJ40-1570.JPG

The top looks like a 4x4labs mount kit . Mine is mounted lower like the other 2 but i have the 4x4 labs kit . On my 69 the front crossmember is at a angle like this / and my 71 its like this I i am not sure i can mount it higher because my steering box would be hitting the crossmember . I have tabled that project for now and will swing back lol

If you have high steer set up and SOA, it could be mount angle or level as to keep the tie rods and drag link level

But with a lifted SUA, you will need a drop pitman arm, so a level mounted box is best or you will need a bigger drop in the pitman arm

whatever fits best. It's different for a V-8 than a six ( motor mount clearance ). A shackle reversal has more room to move about since you don't have
to worry about clearing the top shackle pin. You just want to make sure the bolt holes don't dead center the top or bottom horizontal legs of the frame rail

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

SUA, small lift.
layout the steering shaft from the column before setting the angle. It sucks if it's all welded in and then you notice the steering shaft drags on a motor mount.
The other thing to watch is where the bolts that hold box on pass through the frame. It's nice if they clear the frame legs so you don't have to bisect the two
inches of frame leg with a drill bit. I'd worry less about a 5 ~10 degree pitch than the other install issues you might have trying to get a perfectly flat box.

So I am about to weld in the Sag box mounting plate and I got to thinking... (a bad idea generally). Should the box mount as level as possible? I have seen pictures where that appears to be the case and some where it looks like it is angled up towards the steering column.

Before I weld I'd like to get a little more input.

Pics for examples...

Level:

View attachment 2987613

Angled up:

View attachment 2987615

So what does your mounting plate look like, whos plate is it?

I ask because it might dictate how it needs to be mounted.

I took a slightly different route and wanted to keep as much ground clearance as possible. I also didn't want to weld on the frame.

It is a kit I've had here for 10+years. it looks JUST like the 4x4labs kit, and I followed their pics (so far).

4x4labs:

1650587920131.png

Mine, at an early mock up:

1650588058499.png

I always instructed guys to mount the gear box level/parallel to ground because if you mount the gear box too nose low/tail high, then the far end of the pitman arm angles upward too high, which not only puts a greater angle on the tie rod end, but then when your front diff drops down into full droop, you snap the tie rod end (or bend the tie rod tube) while out on the trail.

Last edited:
This is on my 69 I really can not raise it so I kinda have a Hybrid 4x4 labs set up

413D76E0-6E61-40B9-A64F-C8C37078C7DE.jpeg

59E15C0B-D1A9-4F57-906A-FE90295DCC3A.jpeg

48AE71DD-9B93-4B6A-953E-46E54FC914B2.jpeg

3EB96DDC-A151-4636-B4AA-C7171407EB2C.jpeg

72AFF54D-CC1D-4E58-8ADF-0E8296CFC41E.jpeg

I did my power steering conversion 17 years ago and 80,000 miles. My gear started leaking out of the output shaft a couple years ago so I put a new one on. Other wise I have had no problems
100_0071.JPG
100_0072.JPG
100_0073.JPG

It is a kit I've had here for 10+years. it looks JUST like the 4x4labs kit, and I followed their pics (so far).

4x4labs:

View attachment 2988508

Mine, at an early mock up:

View attachment 2988509

So it looks like you've already notched the bottom of the frame rail to provide clearance for the lower power steering mounting bolts. Your box angle has already been determined.

Yes, I was just making sure I hadn't gone down a wrong road. I would be willing to do whatever is needed to correct a problem, but it seems I'm fine where i am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom