Saginaw Box Brace ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.seattlecruiserheads.com
I went wheeling near Mt. Rainier for three days this past weekend. On one section I smacked the upper part of the front drivers side tire (I am SOA, 78 FJ40) on a tree rootball and it went BANG! No steering! The impact blew apart the bolts holding the Saginaw PS box to the mounting bracket. Did manage a trail fix and get home...

I am looking for ideas to build a brace for the Saginaw box between the frame rails. The box I have is a three bolt box. I want to beef this up as the threads in the box bolt holes are pretty much shot. I will find the best bolts and nuts I can to tighten the box to the mounting bracket. When I have the luxury funds I will later upgrade to the 4x4 Lab stuff. But for now I want to build a strong brace. Any ideas or photos out there?

Thanks!

Max

somone was making a brace that held the lower part of a sag box with the lower end of a connecting rod, and it spanned across to the other side of the frame. It was a guy on pirate, I can't find the thread, this was about a year ago.

Is it possible that the bolts were loose? It seems like some you could drill the holes a litte larger and use some grade 8 bolts. What is your mounting bracket like? I have heard that over time the frame will crush if not sleeved and loosten the bolts.

Just some ideas, I have not had problems with mine....yet, I have the 3 bolt box and made my own plate from 1/2 plate and welded it to the frame rail.

If the threads in the casting of the steering gear are trashed, I would get a new gear, and not think twice about it. It is your steering.

Copied from a Currie Ent. set up for a jeep....

1" tube heated and pressed flat on one end....then on the other end I did the same thing and welded it to a flat plate that attaches to the bottom of the passenger side frame, behind the front spring hanger...with two 3/8" bolts...

Seems to have worked al right since '94....

:beer:

ShopKam10-25-03-29.jpg

Poser:

Actually I had started a brace like the one you have in the photo, but i did not have it secured to the passenger side frame rail yet(DOPE!!!) Do you have a photo of this (passenger) side? Also: how important is it for the bolts to actually thread into the box holes? And is it OK to add a fresh collection of grade 8 bolts and nuts to secure everything?

Max

CruiserMax said:
... how important is it for the bolts to actually thread into the box holes?

I would think that it is very important, since that is how it is supposed to be secured....

I only use grade eight bolts(Caterpillar) to mount things that really matter...

I do not have a picture of the other side...sorry man.

It is just a flat piece of 1/4 thick strap, the same width of the frame, secured by two grade eight, 3/8 bolts, with metal locking nuts..

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
I would think that it is very important, since that is how it is supposed to be secured....

I only use grade eight bolts(Caterpillar) to mount things that really matter...

I do not have a picture of the other side...sorry man.

It is just a flat piece of 1/4 thick strap, the same width of the frame, secured by two grade eight, 3/8 bolts, with metal locking nuts..

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks Steve. I will tap new threads and use grade 8 bolts w/ nuts... And finish the brace. I never want to go through this kind of trail repair again (if I can avoide it!)

Max

jeep aftermarket companies make them...i measured a cj7 once and, iirc, it was about the right size for those that don't have time to fab one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom