Saggy Seat Back Bungee Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A 25+ year old car means that most likely, the bounce has gone from your bungee. I found fixes dispersed throughout all sorts of threads and comments so hopefully this will be a helpful collection for next time. I got replacement cord here (needs to be 1/8 inch to fit) and the part number for the "tooth washers" is 9018306044. My Toyota dealer kept them in stock as I think they are still used. You will need 4 to fix both seats.

So if you're reading this, your bung elastic probably look like this... when it could look like this!

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.01.30 PM.png

To take this panel off, remove two Philips screws hidden under the panel here... (careful with these, mine kept trying to strip the head since they've been in there for 20+ years) Easier to get to if you move the seat all the way forward.
IMG_0292.JPG

Then pull down on the whole panel to remove it. You are releasing it from spring clips so a little force is needed.
You will now be able to see the pins and washers holding on the frame which houses the netting. You need to cut (Dremel with cut off wheel) the two top "tooth washers" to allow the pins to push out. DON'T cut the actual pins, just the washers.

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

With the washers off push the pins through just enough to pull out the knotted bungee from the other side.

Now install new bungee by tying a knot in one end cramming it in the same hole, trimming the length to desired "bounce" and tying a knot in the other end.
IMG_0287.JPG

Push the pins back through to hold the bungee in place then install the new tooth washers. Make sure to push them all the way until the teeth seat in the little groove on the pin. Install the seat panel back the same way you took it off. Push them up and in until the spring clips pop back on. Then tighten down the two screws.
Enjoy your now like new seat backs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom