Saganaw steering gear install

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by Gumby, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I don't know why anyone would want to duplicate this. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in dropping a 350 in a T, or a SAS, but so far it has been really easy.
    The 350 fits with a ton of room and a full width D-44 is within an inch or so of the rear axle width.

What i did today was install the saganaw steering. A normal SAS would probably be easier with the IFS steering gear, but since I installed the Chevy motor my choices were adapt the GM steering shaft and fab a sag gear mount or use the IFS box. Then I'd have to adapt the hoses to have two different ends and make a steering link with two different tie rod ends. Easy enough, but tough to find spares. Also I would still have to fab a mount since the stock gear sat to far back for the axle placement.

I used a gear and steering shaft from a 95 GMC 3500 2WD dually. The gear is mounted to the frame about 1/4 inch forward of the crossmember. The front bottom bolt is under the frame, with the rear bottom bolt through the frame. Both are sleaved with 9/16 ID tube. The top bolt is about an inch above the frame, also sleaved. I sandwiched the frame with a pair of 1/4" plates. The gear is held off the inner plate by 1/2" tall peices of 3/4 ID DOM tube. The plates are welded to the frame and the sleaves. The gear is held on with three 14mm bolts.

The steering shaft was fun to build. I used the GM shaft for ease of fit to the box, but I needed to adapt it to the Toyota steering column and lengthen it a bit. I used a chunk of 1" stock ground into a double D for a snug fit into the steering shaft end. i drilled the 3/8 hole through the stock hole and dropped a grade 8 bolt through. I had to turn the other end down to fit inside a chunk of the 3/4" ID DOM I had. I also had to turn down the Toyota column stub to 3/4, but that was just a tiny bit. I drilled both and welded in 1/4 round stock as well as welded the seams. I used the stock plate that went through the firewall, but I had to make an angled mount for the 3/4 pillow block bearing. That was a beeeatch to get just right.

I took a couple of progress pics and I can take some finished pics if anybody is interested, but like i said, i don't know anybody doing this conversion. Still, I had to post. You never know. ;)

2. the shed guy

the shed guy

Lets see some pics then?

3. Gumby

This one is of the gear mounted on the rail

4. Gumby

This is the peice I had to make between the GM shaft and the Toyota shaft.

5. Toyoland66

Toyoland66

Are you using a D44 because the T-Case is driver side dump?

I dont know much about T-100's but it looks like you are building a pretty sweet rig.

Peace Out

6. Gumby

[quote author=Toyoland66 link=board=19;threadid=10278;start=msg103331#msg103331 date=1076534229]
    Are you using a D44 because the T-Case is driver side dump?

I dont know much about T-100's but it looks like you are building a pretty sweet rig.

Peace Out
    [/quote]

There's that, the cost of a D44 (free) vs. a D60 or an 80 series. The width is right on as well. I also will not have to cobble a hybrid driveshaft as if i used a toy axle. There's been a couple of D44 SAS. i don't know of anybody going bigger on a T

7. trailcarnage

trailcarnage

[quote author=Gumby link=board=19;threadid=10278;start=msg103562#msg103562 date=1076555212]
    There's that, the cost of a D44 (free) vs. a D60 or an 80 series. The width is right on as well. I also will not have to cobble a hybrid driveshaft as if i used a toy axle. There's been a couple of D44 SAS. i don't know of anybody going bigger on a T
    [/quote]

You can get a flange from high-angle driveline to convert the D44 pinion to a toy shaft pattern. This what I do on my Taco SA's

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.