safest way to remove rear control arm? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched and have not found anything on this. So, what is the safest way to remove the rear control arms? I am wanting to pull them to weld in some angle iron to beef them up before CM09' so they will only be off the truck for a few hours then back on again.

Any tricks to removing them and how to support the axle while they are off would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has the torque specs for the bushing bolts so I can get them back to spec when i put it all back together would be helpful.

Thanks

Zane

Why not weld them while on the vehicle?

When I've done it I've just used jack stands to support the vehicle from the frame and let the axle droop on the floor jack.

I couldn't give you the torque specs I just have made sure they met German Torque specs "Gutten Tight".

One thing you need to be careful of is the nuts. They have a knurling on them. Hold them with a wrench and turn the bolt. Look at Slee's direction on how to install his 80 series rear control arms on his site. It gives a better explanation that I can. I couldn't find the info on the rear on his site only the front. And the front you have to do the nuts on one end and the bolts on the other. I may have it backwards for the rear. Just beware of this.

Thanks guys! I knew it was not that big of a job, but I just didn't want the axle to slip out from under the truck. It now sounds easy enough.

Christo, do I loosen from the bolt end or the nut end when pulling the rear control arms?

Zane

When I did my 80 arms, I didn't use jack stand or even remove a tire. I did, stupidly, pull both arms and things got interesting when the axle rolled downwards and back a couple inches. Floor jack under the pinion put everything back into alignment.

Do one at a time and watch the hash marks Eric's talking about when you tighten things up. They act like a lock washer and if you spin them against the bracket they can flatten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom