Safe to Pull a 62 Series with My 80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will my 1996 FZJ80 safely pull the weight of a 1988 62 series on a U-haul car hauler trailer? I will be towing about 200 miles. I don't want to fry my transmission.

U-haul Trailer weighs 2210. FJ62 weighs 4480. Total equals 6690

If it matters, I have brand new DBA slotted discs and EBC 7000 green stuff pads that are a huge improvement over whatever the previous owner had on.

Sounds like he had a lot more weight in the 80 besides just towing the FJ55. My 80 will be empty minus fuel and the third row seats. If compressing the suspension on the 60 being towed is safer then I can do that with some heavy ratchet straps.

U-haul Trailer weighs 2210. FJ62 weighs 4480. Total equals 6690

If it matters, I have brand new DBA slotted discs and EBC 7000 green stuff pads that are a huge improvement over whatever the previous owner had on.

Me thinks you missed the point. read the link from the 2nd post.

yes, I read the entire link. The trailer that I would be renting looks almost new. Before doing it I would look closely at the tongue for the patch job. And I would take it slow. I just can't see any other way to economically get the 62 home. Anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to ship a 62 about 200 miles?

yes, I read the entire link. The trailer that I would be renting looks almost new. Before doing it I would look closely at the tongue for the patch job. And I would take it slow. I just can't see any other way to economically get the 62 home. Anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to ship a 62 about 200 miles?

Shipping I don't think should be bad, Had a 80 shipped from Boulder, CO to Medford, OR for under $700 (door to door, ~1,300 miles). Would have cost me more in travel expense, time off, etc.

I have done it using a tow dolly,just think about breaking long before you need to do it. Tow with rear driveshaft un -hooked. Mike

looked into having a 84 LC shipped to me (from Florida to Washington) got quotes from $1000-1500. 200 miles is a lot shorter of a distance than I was looking at.

hasn't run in a while. Maybe fuel filter, not sure. I just want it for the frame and running gear. would the tow dolly be safer? Dropping the rear shaft would be a piece of cake. Never thought about going that route. was just thinking of the trailer because of it having surge brakes.

I have done it using a tow dolly,just think about breaking long before you need to do it. Tow with rear driveshaft un -hooked. Mike

I've towed a 62 with my 350 powered FJ60 (on a car hauler, and later with a dolly). Not to say anything about the link to the double roll-over, but I had no problem with towing it either way. But, I would not exceed 55 mph. and make sure that if towed on a trailer that you have proper tongue weight. But I'd lobby for the dolly with DS off. The surge brakes won't help all that much IMO.

Also I just read the double flip-thread...and I really try to avoid U-Haul for reasons mentioned in this thread, and the OP sounds like he's avoiding them too, but if not, I would also suggest avoiding them. I've rented dollys from them, and one,was a total P.O.S. and the effing fender flew off while en-route to pick up my LX-450. They certainly do NOT take care of their equipment well.

Uh...yeah, no, OP says he wants a U-Haul car hauler...those things are hunks of s***.

Last edited:
Tow Dolly?

I towed a Mitsuhubishi Montero behind my 72 Scout for about 100+ miles but used a tow dolly, rear wheels on the ground......drive shaft disconnected. Corvallis to St. Helens Oregon. I thought the trailer would be to heavy.

What is the tow capacity of the FZJ's? 5,000lbs? 7,000lbs?

Anyways if the tow is less than 500 miles..... What you can do is buy a AAA tow card (from the insurance company) for around $100.00 (the works, as the cheaper on only tows 10 miles) and have them tow it.

All in all cost you around $100 to tow, plus you have 2 more that you can use within the year.

I towed a 60 series home with a 80 using a flat bed u-haul trailer. I pulled it for about 12 hours from Chicago to NW Iowa. Take it slow and check the straps if you have to stop for gas. 200 miles is NOTHING.

x3 on avoiding UHaul. My brother got a tandem axle that was supposed to have brakes. Turned out they found them inoperable and dry master cylinder when investigating following his multiple roll accident between Flagstaff and PHX.
I've pulled other 80's on a car hauler with mine. I would prefer a bigger tow vehicle, but no sweat if terrain is mostly level and you take it easy.

you can do it but not recommended

Ive towed a F350 shortbox with some up/down hills. Took it slow. when i was done i noticed my front diff was leaking fluid pretty bad and my tcase/tranny was heating up pretty good.
Didnt help being full time 4 wheel I guess...

Wow that was quite a roll over. He was lucky one of the springs in the back didnt decapitate him..

I will never travel with loose heavy objects in the back of the truck again now:meh:

You won't fry your tranny unless you had other problems. But you are assuming a lot of liability as you are over the tow rating of the 80 and Uhaul won't rent you a trailer to put a Cruiser on, so you have to lie and say it for something lighter. With that said, the 80 can easily handle the load with a trailer with working trailer brakes as long as you don't get crazy with speed. For 200 miles a flat tow wouldn't be horrible as long as you are staying out of the mountains and off the brakes. We flat towed a BJ60 out of Canada behind a FZJ80 without problems and we had to do a lot of mountain driving. It was OK, but not ideal. We went slow, really slow. The 80 brakes are not adequate for adding another 5k to the vehicle brakes. Think about emergency situations, not about whether it can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom