Safe to drive wit no belts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heya' I'll be heading home in half n hour and am wanting to eliminate some pulleys from the noise I've been tearing my hair out over all week.

Is it safe to drive for 5 mins or so with all three belts removed?
I'm specially looking forward to putting them back on while the engine is hot! Getting a little bit over pulling these things off as of late..
Thanks.

No belts = no water pump. Can be run for a short time, but five minutes is pushing it IMO.

as well as no charging system, you will drain your battery real quick running no alternator....

Yea that's what I thought.. Maybe I'll just have to try the stethescope. Problem is, it doesn't make noise when idling. . Only under drive-load :hmm:

No belts = no water pump. Can be run for a short time, but five minutes is pushing it IMO.

+ no PS, no AC and no alternator.:eek: Running it briefly is no biggie but I wouldn't put it on the road.:whoops: You're better off to replace the belts or have it towed.:meh:

You might just want to drive it until something changes. It likely isn't even engine related.

No I doubt it's a big problem, but I'm the sorta bloke who likes to hear his truck purrr and I hate niggling noises.

I'm willing to bet it's the alternator, but at $300 for a reco I'd like to make sure first.
Going to see if I can but one direct from the US because they're like $100

Aftermarket belts cause it to squeal. So do bad pulleys. Mine only squealed above 2500 RPM. The second i replaced the belts with OEM Toyota belts, no more squeal. If it is a pulley, they are pretty cheap and will make it a lot quieter.

Thanks for the suggestion man but I changed to OEM belts and have eliminated idler and A/C adjuster pulley. I pulled on alternator pulley with the belts pretty hard to adjust the tensioner when it wasn't unscrewed enough for it to slide easily and think I messed up a bearing. I didn't think it was belts, even though people assured me it was and I spent $55 on two new ones.

Put it up on a good set of jack stands, 6 ton or even better 12 ton jacks on all four corners. Do not put it in the air too high incase it does jump off. start and run(when it is cold) the truck in drive on the jack stands. This type of activity can be bad for your health and stuff around you. But if done properly, can be safe and will allow you to drive it in gear, not go any where and your driver can watch the engine temps while you look for the sound under the hood. I would also support the hood with a prop of some sort so the hood does not come down and trap you while you are under it.
I have done this many time with out incident to find noises I could not find other wise. Be safe, it is you life you have in your hands.

+ no PS, no AC and no alternator.:eek: Running it briefly is no biggie but I wouldn't put it on the road.:whoops: You're better off to replace the belts or have it towed.:meh:

I tought the 80's Power Steering did not usa a belt but was a direct drive system to the crank shaft.

So you should have Power steering - I'm I wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom