Safe boost for 1kz-te bone stock (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the safe boost for 1kz-te without upgrades? What is considered overboosting in 1kz-te?

PSX_20191114_134452.jpg

I for one like to wind the crap out of mine, pushing 600km a week, i run mine at 22psi at the moment, mainly because I do a lot of towing and this cools the egts right down on hills, there was not real any noticeable difference between 18 and 22psi, I think its my crappy zenner diode mod on the map I should switch this out for GTSSportCoupe set up that looks the trick

of course 3" exhaust and front mount are a must! dont bother doing anything till you do this!

I for one like to wind the crap out of mine, pushing 600km a week, i run mine at 22psi at the moment, mainly because I do a lot of towing and this cools the egts right down on hills, there was not real any noticeable difference between 18 and 22psi, I think its my crappy zenner diode mod on the map I should switch this out for GTSSportCoupe set up that looks the trick

of course 3" exhaust and front mount are a must! dont bother doing anything till you do this!
Will it not suffer pre ignition/detonation when i t has too much boost?

I use to run mine at at max 1.1 bar, 16psi, was good enough.

Never had any head or other major issues. 3" exhaust and intercooler installed.

I use to run mine at at max 1.1 bar, 16psi, was good enough.

Never had any head or other major issues. 3" exhaust and intercooler installed.
As of the moment no upgrades for exhaust and ic of my prado. All is stock. Been my rig for 14 years. Used to be a 2lte cracked four heads then i decided to put a 1kz in it. I just would like it to be more responsive on uphills and overtaking. Im getting 2500rpm at 100kph. Is that normal?

As of the moment no upgrades for exhaust and ic of my prado. All is stock. Been my rig for 14 years. Used to be a 2lte cracked four heads then i decided to put a 1kz in it. I just would like it to be more responsive on uphills and overtaking. Im getting 2500rpm at 100kph. Is that normal?

The 1kz is not exactly a new engine anymore, as you well know, one has to look after it for extended life without breakages. Nearly all of my counterparts had trouble with their 1kz's, be it heads or cylinders. The 2500 at 100kph if thats in 5th gear, then ok.

Here's a list of mods I did to my 1kz with outcome. Hope this helps.

1. Installed external wastegate and a manual boost controller. Boost left at 1.1bar, 16psi. Good power pickup for overtaking and hills.
2. 3" exhaust done with '1'.
3. Added front mounted intercooler, done with '1' and '2'.

The above was the best mods I ever did I were trouble free for 10 years.

Additional mods:
1. Added tuning chip. Good pickup and response. Removed due to suspected wiring issues, never reinstalled.

Radiator:
1. Upgraded radiator to a larger core, aluminium based. No real benefits.

Adding gearbox cooler:
If you have an auto add a transmission cooler.

The best after market kit I ever installed was a dashboard mounted temperature gauge. The response over the factory temp gauge is second to none. Once you see the temp hit limit, you know its time to back off the accelerator; uphill or towing.

The 1kz is not exactly a new engine anymore, as you well know, one has to look after it for extended life without breakages. Nearly all of my counterparts had trouble with their 1kz's, be it heads or cylinders. The 2500 at 100kph if thats in 5th gear, then ok.

1. Installed external wastegate and a manual boost controller. Boost left at 1.1bar, 16psi. Good power pickup for overtaking and hills.

Additional mods:
1. Added tuning chip. Good pickup and response. Removed due to suspected wiring issues, never reinstalled.

Radiator:

Adding gearbox cooler:

The best after market kit I ever installed was a dashboard mounted temperature gauge. The response over the factory temp gauge is second to none. Once you see the temp hit limit, you know its time to back off the accelerator; uphill or towing.
[/QUOTE

So far i added a tranny cooler in mine. I have the egt,boost,oil pressure,ampere,coolant temp,tranny oil temp,engine oil temp gauge. The exhaust and ic are difficult to source out in my place. Is there a ready to install exhaust 3 inches in your place?

Additional mods:

Radiator:

Adding gearbox cooler:

What is the safest egt to run? Im planning to swap my rad fan for a bigger one just like in an 80 series fan if it would work coz i saw someone here who did that.

Do the radiator plan. Anything bigger than standard and larger fan if possible.

You know, for EGT I have never really bothered. I had the gauge fitted yes, but after a few months it stopped working and I never replaced it. However for boost and water temperature I use to watch closely. If the water temperature ever went up, which was usually going on a long uphill or highway speeding, then the boost would be up too. I woudl just back off the throttle until the boost was 4-5psi less and the water temperature would automatically go down.

Do the radiator plan. Anything bigger than standard and larger fan if possible.

You know, for EGT I have never really bothered. I had the gauge fitted yes, but after a few months it stopped working and I never replaced it. However for boost and water temperature I use to watch closely. If the water temperature ever went up, which was usually going on a long uphill or highway speeding, then the boost would be up too. I woudl just back off the throttle until the boost was 4-5psi less and the water temperature would automatically go down.
Nice. I will post pictures of the radiator so you can see and if you approve that size and build. Its hard to post pictures here fb messenger is a lot quicker. Hahaha

That radiator and fan looks so much the same as mine did. Install.

I can't post any pics as the vehicle is no longer with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom