Safari Snorkel... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I use my Fj60 as my daily driver and in the summer time it gets REAL hot here in TX. And so when the traffic builds up and its a 100 degrees outside i see alot of car on the side of the road due to over heating. My question is would a snorkel actually help in preventing my truck from overheating in the summertime? Would bringing the air intake from the front of the truck to the top of the truck help? Cause being in front its sucking in fumes from the exhaust of the car in front of me and that combined with the heat is a nasty combo. I just figure putting on the snorkel will let me bring in cleaner (if possible) air and keep her nice and cool.

Thoughts?

I doubt you would notice any difference in engine temp from a snorkel... For daily driving the only reason to have it is the cool factor. period.

yeah,

also remember, warm air rises, so you'd be suckin in heat off of your own engine, too.

but whatever you want to do man. remember, some day there might be a flood on the highway, and you could drive out :D in style.

malphrus

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=13221;start=msg122018#msg122018 date=1079454865]
yeah,

also remember, warm air rises, so you'd be suckin in heat off of your own engine, too.

but whatever you want to do man. remember, some day there might be a flood on the highway, and you could drive out :D in style.

malphrus
[/quote]

Good point about the flooding!! Never thought about that.

Well i also though about the warm air rise but when your bumber to bumber your sucking up the numbnuts fumes infront of you. I just thought with a snorkel you would be getting alot cleaner air.

While I didn't "regret" the one on my old XJ, I wouldn't buy one again. just too much $$ for something that was rarely used and got sooooo many questions.

Maybe if it was free LOL.

What's up BigSur,

Just get it man! At least you will look cool. Hey remember, I think you have to cut into the fender to install that thing. I don't think it is a very easy job to just do in a couple of hours (if you want it done right). It would however, add many style points to your rig.
:beer: :beer: :beer:

yeah, you'd get cleaner air,

but think of the possibilities:

if the guy in front of you is runnin rich, you could "steal" a little gas from him, right right?

actually improve your gas mileage, right right?

ha ha, have a good one, and make it look good if you do put it on,

malphrus

If you do much driving on dirt or gravel roads or play around in the water I would think the snorkel might be functional. Other than that it just looks good. I like the way they look but I don't know if I'm ready to go that route. If you're concerned about overheating why not upgrade the radiator?

Unless ur traveling in front of a group with no one in front of u on a dirt/gravel road that whole thing with a snorkel sucking in cleaner air isnt gunna work. mostly because the people in front of u are kicking up dirt, so it will get into the snorkel anyway. I would do it for the looks and being able to go through water. Im gunna put one on my FJ pretty soon. Ill probaly make it my self though, instead of paying over $300.00 for one. ill just go to home depot or something and buy some PVC pipe :D
Good luck with ur decision.

[quote author=70LCruiser link=board=1;threadid=13221;start=msg122218#msg122218 date=1079469788]
Unless ur traveling in front of a group with no one in front of u on a dirt/gravel road that whole thing with a snorkel sucking in cleaner air isnt gunna work. mostly because the people in front of u are kicking up dirt, so it will get into the snorkel anyway. I would do it for the looks and being able to go through water. Im gunna put one on my FJ pretty soon. Ill probaly make it my self though, instead of paying over $300.00 for one. ill just go to home depot or something and buy some PVC pipe :D
Good luck with ur decision.
[/quote]

Actually the Safari unit is designed primarily for bull dust...the dust you speak of. Another HUGE bonus that the homebrew set ingnors is the volume the Safari unit flows. just sticking PVS pipe up there may not be enough....like trying to go running with your only air available through a McDonalds Straw. You need to take friction into effect as well (inner surface of PVC and how many bends) and what will you do with rain water? The Safari deals with it pretty damn well with the grate and the side vents that let it exit down the outside fo the tube (wanted to see it in action so tried it at the Carwash with the pressure washer...worked great!)

Not saying making one yourself is a bad idea, just sayoing that there's some homework that needs to be done. The Guys that just slap some PVC up there with a K&N on the end are surely helping in the submersion dept, but hurting things just driving around.

Ah come on, there's got to be something more worthwhile to buy for your cruiser than a snorkel. FWIW, I think they look silly.

I don't like the look of homemade snorkels. If you're going to cut up your cruiser to put in a snorkel go ahead and do it right with a snorkel designed for your rig.

On 60's and 80's Safari Snorkels are the ticket (if you need/want one), but I don't like them on a 40, primarily because they prevent lowering of the windshield, and I can't have that. I've seen a few homemade snorkels utilizing Safari intakes at the top, that looked quite professional and allowed for the windshield to be lowered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom