Safari snorkel for 5.7L USDM land cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Markuson that is precisely why I bought mine. It's a $250-500 (depending on the manufacturer you choose) insurance policy and a :banana: job to install. I don't intend to go hood deep for the same reasons as you, but if I take a crossing that is deeper than I expected or I get to the end of a long (or one-way) trail and find there's a deeper water crossing than I'd anticipated, it gives me more options and less risk.

Roco Siliva snorkel - not cheap but nice lines
1557411758775.png

Just watched this 30 minute video on snorkel install, and have decided I will probably do this job myself.

The guy’s head is sometimes in the way...but it shows pretty much everything you do. Have a look:

@Markuson if I can do it, you can do it. 4" hole saw, drill, a step-bit, and a few other misc parts. I managed to do it in the 3 hours Dobinson's says. Just follow the template and instructions and you'll be fine.

Haha. That's for the snorkel AND the bro truck fender flare install. I think the snorkel install must be less than 45 seconds.

I would hope they tested for water intrusion, but as @Taco2Cruiser described earlier, I could definitely see ice and snow buildup presenting a huge problem with this design for those who visit colder climates!

I’m going to order a Safari snorkel for my 2013 200, I have been waiting for a direct fit kit for these engines, I was reluctant to have to futz around with reforming the duct.... Can someone tell me the correct fender hole size? I have seen 4” and 4.5” mentioned, I want to order a saw. Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

I’m going to order a Safari snorkel for my 2013 200, I have been waiting for a direct fit kit for these engines, I was reluctant to have to futz around with reforming the duct.... Can someone tell me the correct fender hole size? I have seen 4” and 4.5” mentioned, I want to order a saw. Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Who will you be ordering it from? If Cruiser Outfitters, give us a ring when you're ready and we can send a full set of instructions in advance which will have a full list tool requirement list. If not from Cruiser Outfitters, I'd ask whomever is selling you the parts, let them earn your $$$ with their tech assistance :D

Here’s my install of the 5.7 specific one.
It is ARMax version from Safarithough...which sticks out a bit more than non ARMax, width-wise. Very happy with it. Installed myself last month, which is hard when you can’t see well. :)
BAD35F50-E60A-49AA-9287-9FBDD438A974.jpeg

Who will you be ordering it from? If Cruiser Outfitters, give us a ring when you're ready and we can send a full set of instructions in advance which will have a full list tool requirement list. If not from Cruiser Outfitters, I'd ask whomever is selling you the parts, let them earn your $$$ with their tech assistance :D

The hole size isn’t proprietary information. If you don’t know the answer, don’t waste our time. If you know the answer just please say so.

John Davies
Spokane WA

The hole size isn’t proprietary information. If you don’t know the answer, don’t waste our time. If you know the answer just please say so.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Wow.
A little weird getting annoyed after he kindly offered to send you instructions prior to actual delivery. Extremely helpful guy, actually.

But anyway...
The “hole size” isn’t quite that simple. It involves an oval...so two big holes connected by other cuts... but even I couldn’t tell you the exact size and I just did mine a few weeks ago. In the neighborhood of 4 1/4” a couple times...but there are 8 other holes to make at other sizes. Don’t remember those either.

The instructions include a large paper overlay you trace, and it doesn’t actually say the exact size of the oval in writing.

:meh:

Last edited:
Thank you, that was helpful. The videos show a big round hole drilled, then opened up to an oval.

John Davies
Spokane WA

John Davies
Spokane WA

LOL, I didn't say the hole size was proprietary. I said if you're going to order it from us, we would be happy to send you a full PDF of the instructions so you can read about all the tools necessary for the installation.

Who is the "our" in your reply? You and Amazon? :D

Thank you, that was helpful.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Great, but I’m not trying to run a business. ;)
No customers pawing at me in my shop whilst I tap out stuff here... Pretty sure Kurt has paw prints all over him. :hillbilly:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom