Safari Exhaust? Swimming Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, getting the safari snorkle is a great idea, but what about the exhaust? Where can I route it up? I suppose it needs to be as high as the snorkle if Im going to be crossing the Mississippi.

Has anyone done this and if so pictures?

How deep can you go with a stock 60? With just a Snorkle?

Need to vent diff? or just drain after the trail is done?

Nicholas

I didn't water proofed my cruisers yet, but read about doing it here. The exhaust should be fine if you don't stall out, and you need to seal the distributor with silicone. I wouldn't want my axles filled with H2O, so extend the breathers.

quote: I suppose it needs to be as high as the snorkle if Im going to be crossing the Mississippi.

last i remember, there were bridges that went over the "o'l miss" :D

I think you're going to run into issues sealing your engine before your exhaust becomes an issue. Get a diesel and then just extend diff breathers and intake. Exhaust should bubble nicely.

you can also extend the breather on the t-case, but i think you have to drop it to get to the stock one in order to extend it. I think I remember hearing as well that the coil needs to be kept dry. Not sure on this...
Oh and probably check your door weatherstripping unless you want to ruin your carpet/take a bath

I had mine as deep as the tail lights once (on accident) with just the snorkel and extended breathers. The exhaust just kept bubbling. I plan on getting everything else under the hood waterproofed soon.

i went up to the window cranks without a snorkle, i do have the tube removed from behind the light. exhaust just bubbles.

ChicagoFJ60 said:
Well, getting the safari snorkle is a great idea, but what about the exhaust? Where can I route it up? I suppose it needs to be as high as the snorkle if Im going to be crossing the Mississippi.
Nicholas

As has already been said, you don't have to worry about the exhaust as long as you keep the motor running. The pressure of the exiting exhaust will keep it easily flowing unless you get a couple 100 feet below the surface and then your problems are a lot greater than exhaust flow.

I'm real curious about where a Chicagoan would cross the Mississippi! ;)

But, if you stall for some reason, I guess when it stalls I have heard there is some sort of reverse suction action that will suck the water right into your engine... and probablyh kill it? Believe it or not I am thinking or entering one of those pond skimming contests with the cruiser at the end of the season :)

I've heard that too. I don't know how valid it is, but I've heard it.

What would produce it?

:beer:

well iv though about it and what about a valve of some sort?

The exhaust valves are timed so that they let the pressure out of the cylinder creating a backpressure throughout the exhaust system.

I don't have any idea where this idea came from, but I'd like some clarification.

GLTHFJ60 said:
The exhaust valves are timed so that they let the pressure out of the cylinder creating a backpressure throughout the exhaust system.

I don't have any idea where this idea came from, but I'd like some clarification.

are you talking about my idea, sorry im going on 18 and getting older

:flipoff2:

a Check valve is what i ment

opens one way, but if something hit it from the other way it closes, like your back pressure would make it open but if water cam in it would close,

A4valve.jpg

but again just an idea

As long as your engine is running, it will force your exuast out, and you will have no problems with water coming back up the exuast.

i hope you don't turn off the engine. I'm pretty sure that as soon as you do, you are in trouble(don't start the engine while in the water)=stranded)

Dude, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bash your idea. I just wanted evidence. I'm 17 so I can be nieve as well.

Where would that check valve be located?

Easy fix; don't turn engine off while crossing stream.

GLTHFJ60 said:
Dude, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bash your idea. I just wanted evidence. I'm 17 so I can be nieve as well.

Where would that check valve be located?

Easy fix; don't turn engine off while crossing stream.

o i didnt say you where, i was asking,

i though about it more and i guess a slip on tip would be cool so when your just driving aorund town you can take it off?

where on the t-case is the breather located and I thought the breather tubes on the axles are one way.

It is not a matter of "something sucking water back into your engine" if it stalls. It's simple. There will always be at least on cylinder which has the exhaust cand the intake valve open a small amount. If the enige is below the surfce of the water, the water will just flow into it once it's not running. Just like putting an open soda bottle under water. No suction needed.

The idea of a one way valve would work. IF you could get one which would seal securely. And continue to do so when dirty, corroded and clogged with grime/mud/whatever.

SO long as your engine is running you will not get any water up the exhaust. If you want to make sure that you won't get water in if it stalls when in the deep stuff, you want to snorkle the exhasut to the saemheight as the intake.

And yes... yiu want to keep the coil waterproofed/dry...

Mark...

ChicagoFJ60 said:

Nicholas

I don't think a cruiser would do very well crossing the Des Plaines or Chicago rivers much less the Mighty Miss. If you're serious about crossing large deep rivers, you might want to look into people parting out old submarines. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom