Sad story, found my '71 that I sold over 10 yrs ago.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If the current owner is reading this I apologize, but after looking at it I went away saddened at it's condition, but hopeful the current owner brings it some happiness.

I sold my '71 55 back in 2010 or maybe before, I'm sure I posted a bazillion questions on it here during the time I owned it. Bought it bone-stock in Phoenix, 2-tone blue and white, dry as a bone underneath with ZERO rust in the roof near the rear where they ALL rust out. Rockers were solid, floors and body panels were solid. Dings and dents, all adding to the character like scars and tattoos.

I swapped the column 3-sp for a 4-sp with Fairey OD (how rare are those now?), and added a winch bumper and Warn Belleview-series winch. 33 x 9.50 tires.

Since then, my oldest boy harshes me almost daily for selling it, he now has no chance to learn how to drive a manual tranny. So every now and then I look on CL, and recently I saw a Pig nearby, which was unusual in itself. It was primered all over, but the pic of the front seat gave it away as MY old 55.

I contacted the seller and went to look at it, he's asking 3 x the $$ I sold it for 10 yrs ago, but someone (not the current owner) stripped it of bits and pieces, took the winch, tried some amateur bondo in some places, and worst of all: Drove it in the Massachusetts winter. I never drove it in the rain after towing it from Phx to CT.

The rockers were rusted, as was the lower edges of the rear fenders, and the fender liners as well. The frame underneath was coated in rust, but not rusted thru. It was overall a sad deterioration of what once was a clean, dry, rust-free Pig with original (maybe it had been re-painted, but still....) 2-tone paint, now a primer grey. Better shape than lot of them, I know, but I was sad. I guess sad for even selling it in the first place. Thanks for letting me grieve out loud.

I understand what you type

The owner who bought my old pig parked it several years ago, I don't know its current condition but I assume the worse. I tried to contact him to buy it back last year to no avail,, I have my bucket list troopy now and I'd like to say water under the bridge, but I'd sure like to see the piggy again, maybe even buy it back still.

Sometimes things are better left in the past, the way you remember them. It takes a tremendous amount of dedication to upkeep ANY vehicle, even more so a 55. People’s interests and excitement levels change and cycle as time goes on and with it the interest in any said vehicle or possession. If you sold something, it was probably for a reason. Sometimes there’s a pang of regret, but that’s just what you have to deal with. The appealing idea of buying back an old rig is mostly better left to the wind, as if the idea became reality, things would inevitably not be the same as you fondly remember them. If you get bit by the Swine Flu, probably better to start over with a different rig than track down the old one you gave the boot. Of course there’s exceptions...
Amazing story -
A guy I work with special ordered a 4wd Ford Knight package pickup in 1994. After he got it he loved it and drove it around for four years until he lost interest and sold it (1998). Of course he immediately regretted selling it. He attempted to contact the guy he sold it to later on to no avail.
Fast forward to 2016. Guy has been keeping tabs on CL for Knight package Fords for years, trying to find one to fill the void in his Grinchy heart. One finally pops up. Pics show details that look very familiar. Phone call reveals more intrigue. A trip to the sellers house conclude that it is indeed the exact truck he sold 18 years prior with everything being as it was the day he sold it with the exception of the tires and faded paint. His name was on the build sheet that still occupied the glovebox.
He bought it back and occasionally drives it to work, having done absolutely nothing to it since he bought it back, despite lofty resto fantasies. Someday...

Wow, that Ford Knight story is amazing, and that's how I HOPED my '55 saga would end up. No, I didn't buy it, no way is it worth what he's asking. And yes, I realize now my old memories are better than the reality.

You all may have been watching that '79 55 on ebay that just sold....in appearance and condition, it looked very much like my old one, only probably less rust, but overall really about the same. Primer and all. I stumbled across it with just a few minutes left, and there was no reserve @ a measily $6k, so I threw a $6,100 bid at it with 7 min left and walked away the high bidder! It sold for $6,200 to a lucky person if it's as solid as it looked. Guy is asking $15k for my old one. Yeah, NO!

Interesting timing of this story, realistically there is no way I can manage or afford to drag another vehicle to the Yukon, but I keep wondering if I should take a run at getting my first 40 back, guy lives 10 minutes away and as far as I know, its been sitting there since I sold it 3 years ago... my god though, she would just kill me, still haven't told her about blue pig or the car topper boat coming next weekend...

Interesting timing of this story, realistically there is no way I can manage or afford to drag another vehicle to the Yukon, but I keep wondering if I should take a run at getting my first 40 back, guy lives 10 minutes away and as far as I know, its been sitting there since I sold it 3 years ago... my god though, she would just kill me, still haven't told her about blue pig or the car topper boat coming next weekend...

Just send it bro.

Sometimes things are better left in the past, the way you remember them. It takes a tremendous amount of dedication to upkeep ANY vehicle, even more so a 55. People’s interests and excitement levels change and cycle as time goes on and with it the interest in any said vehicle or possession. If you sold something, it was probably for a reason. Sometimes there’s a pang of regret, but that’s just what you have to deal with. The appealing idea of buying back an old rig is mostly better left to the wind, as if the idea became reality, things would inevitably not be the same as you fondly remember them. If you get bit by the Swine Flu, probably better to start over with a different rig than track down the old one you gave the boot. Of course there’s exceptions...
Amazing story -
A guy I work with special ordered a 4wd Ford Knight package pickup in 1994. After he got it he loved it and drove it around for four years until he lost interest and sold it (1998). Of course he immediately regretted selling it. He attempted to contact the guy he sold it to later on to no avail.
Fast forward to 2016. Guy has been keeping tabs on CL for Knight package Fords for years, trying to find one to fill the void in his Grinchy heart. One finally pops up. Pics show details that look very familiar. Phone call reveals more intrigue. A trip to the sellers house conclude that it is indeed the exact truck he sold 18 years prior with everything being as it was the day he sold it with the exception of the tires and faded paint. His name was on the build sheet that still occupied the glovebox.
He bought it back and occasionally drives it to work, having done absolutely nothing to it since he bought it back, despite lofty resto fantasies. Someday...
Well said...

Wow, that Ford Knight story is amazing, and that's how I HOPED my '55 saga would end up. No, I didn't buy it, no way is it worth what he's asking. And yes, I realize now my old memories are better than the reality.

You all may have been watching that '79 55 on ebay that just sold....in appearance and condition, it looked very much like my old one, only probably less rust, but overall really about the same. Primer and all. I stumbled across it with just a few minutes left, and there was no reserve @ a measily $6k, so I threw a $6,100 bid at it with 7 min left and walked away the high bidder! It sold for $6,200 to a lucky person if it's as solid as it looked. Guy is asking $15k for my old one. Yeah, NO!
Trying to understand, did you get the Pig? Or were you outbid by $100?

BriefWarmheartedAzurevase-size_restricted.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom