s***scared newbie 40 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone

I've just purchased an old 40 that's been stripped down already... finally my time to pull the trigger and start my first ever build! To say I'm in over my head and frightened is an understatement... I've always wanted to do it and have been watching multitudes of car resto channels on youtube forever... now super excited to start ****ing it up from the get go 😆

Anyway, I'm picking up various parts of the truck tomorrow, and have had the rolling chassis already delivered to someone who knows what they're doing to upgrade some stuff and get it ready for an LS... I'll post pics when I get home!

Looking forward to bothering you all repeatedly for advice, I hope that's ok. Bloody hell... what have I got myself into

Hi everyone

I've just purchased an old 40 that's been stripped down already... finally my time to pull the trigger and start my first ever build! To say I'm in over my head and frightened is an understatement... I've always wanted to do it and have been watching multitudes of car resto channels on youtube forever... now super excited to start f***ing it up from the get go 😆

Anyway, I'm picking up various parts of the truck tomorrow, and have had the rolling chassis already delivered to someone who knows what they're doing to upgrade some stuff and get it ready for an LS... I'll post pics when I get home!

Looking forward to bothering you all repeatedly for advice, I hope that's ok. Bloody hell... what have I got myself into

Just keep fixing it till it’s right. Good Luck.

No pictures, no model year? Not a good start.

Do you have to get the LS swap inspected before you can register the cruiser? Heard Australia is different than here in the US. Where I register my cruisers I can put in any engine I want and register no problem. Other areas of the state I live in it's a nightmare changing engines. Been told by Australians even seat changes have to be engineered and inspected in Australia. But I have also been told once it registered it doesn't need to be inspected again. So as long as you keep the registration current can do pretty much what ever you want. Are you familiar with the laws in your area?

Where in Oz? Tassie, Vic and S.A. inspection once, N.S.W. every year, think the same for Queensland, not sure for A.C.T. and WestOz? I imagine N.T to be fairly relaxed..

At least parts are fairly accessible in Oz, get ready to spend some money! Chassis any good?

I have read So many inspiring posts and seen a ton of great photos ….you can’t help but be energized. there are several great YouTube videos where 50-60 hours of video document fantastic re-builds and restorations. I have a musician friend in Victoria who turned me on to a guy in Australia you may have viewed…40 Channel. Of course there are many other great published video series and people out there doing amazing work…I keep a long list. It’s like shot of vitamin, keeps me goin’

40 Channel on YouTube is excellent, good guy!

40 Channel on YouTube is excellent, good guy!
that one and Project Wrong Way is good also. to quote him he makes the mistakes so you won't have to.

On YouTube…..Look up Lone Wolf Works…. You’ll rebuild your cruiser in real time side by side….excellent series

Toyopat restoration is another good guy to subscribe to.

No pictures, no model year? Not a good start.

Do you have to get the LS swap inspected before you can register the cruiser? Heard Australia is different than here in the US. Where I register my cruisers I can put in any engine I want and register no problem. Other areas of the state I live in it's a nightmare changing engines. Been told by Australians even seat changes have to be engineered and inspected in Australia. But I have also been told once it registered it doesn't need to be inspected again. So as long as you keep the registration current can do pretty much what ever you want. Are you familiar with the laws in your area?
I agree not the best of starts. The cruiser I bought has been stripped down and panels sandblasted. Then I headed down a independent coil spring wormhole. Chassis is now being prepped (by guys who actually know what they’re doing) for the discarding of leafs and upgrading of everything. I’ve also switched to a somewhat old school 383 Stroker engine build/switch. God help me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom