S over A advice please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,...group,...I have a '74 FJ40,..and it seems it will never hit the trail, because I keep "upgrading" it. At this point I have inatalled a complete 4" Downwy lift kit with extended shocks, and have the bare clean housing ready to install my new ARB locker, new Marfield birfs,and BJ 60 disc knuckles.
Well,...now since it is all clean and bare, I am thinking about a SOA, I am a pipefitter weldor, with all the equipment, so I think I would like to do this. I know I have the scarf off all the old perches, no problem, and install new ones on the top.
Do I need to do a cut & turn? I am not worried about this either,..question, will I still be able to use all my Downey springs & shocks? I also have a complete AGR saginaw kit.
I do not want to do shackle reversal if I don't have to..
advice please..

I have inatalled a complete 4" Downwy lift kit with extended shocks,

I am thinking about a SOA,

will I still be able to use all my Downey springs & shocks?

The SOA is going to give you 5-7" lift. Add 4" for the Downey springs. Do you really want to lift it 9-11"? I wouldn't.

Since you've got the kit already, bolt it all up, run it for a year and see how you feel.

The SOA is going to give you 5-7" lift. Add 4" for the Downey springs. Do you really want to lift it 9-11"? I wouldn't.

Since you've got the kit already, bolt it all up, run it for a year and see how you feel.

LOL,...yea,....ummm, no,...I don't think that would work,...thanks Eddie,..that's what I wanted to hear,....my logic was, if I WAS going to do SOA, and I could use my lift,..NOW was the time to do it,...I am ready to finalize it,..I just got diff. armor, and Marfields to complete it. Thankyou

I'm doing a body lift today and, most likely, tomorrrow. I also have the problem of "upgrades" keeping me from riding Rana. But, SOA is gonna make you top heavy from everythiing I have seen on Mud and other circles. The 1.5 inch UHMW blocks gives my 77 a good look and adequate clearance for 33 X 10.5 BFGs but maintains the same center of gravity. Fot the bib and tail end, I am usinig 1.5 square tubing which is on the band saw right now. I bought Energy Suspension body mounts, via my business, to go with the UHMW. UHMW stands for ultra high molecular weight high density polyethelene.

i would not use lifted springs if i was doing an soa, find some flat ones then do it. cut and turn is recomended. a must if you are going to do a shackle reversal

Thanks for everyones advice,...but if I can't use my brand new Downey 4" lift kit,...I'm not going to do it...

Not to split hairs, but... Your plastic acronyms are a bit mixed up
Boedeker Plastics : Polyethylene Datasheet

UHMW PE or HDPE ("tougher"), but very similar in strength. Whatever is cheapest.

LDPE, not so much.

I'm doing a body lift today and, most likely, tomorrrow. I also have the problem of "upgrades" keeping me from riding Rana. But, SOA is gonna make you top heavy from everythiing I have seen on Mud and other circles. The 1.5 inch UHMW blocks gives my 77 a good look and adequate clearance for 33 X 10.5 BFGs but maintains the same center of gravity. Fot the bib and tail end, I am usinig 1.5 square tubing which is on the band saw right now. I bought Energy Suspension body mounts, via my business, to go with the UHMW. UHMW stands for ultra high molecular weight high density polyethelene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom