?'s on rear axle swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am doing a 350, t400 and 241 swap in my '71 and need a centered rear axle. I can not seem to find a thread that talks about the best mini truck axle to put in. I have found some axle from a local toyota junker, he is telling me that some of the 80's axles are different widths. what is going to be the easiest to swap in?

Pre-ifs is the same width as a 40 axle at 55" (pre 85 IIRC, it's the early body style). Later than that is the same width as a 60 axle at 58". Best all toyota centered axle is to build a hybrid using a cruiser center with mini axle shafts and tubes, that way you don't need to get new driveshaft flanges and you have the bigger cruiser ring gear.

thanks for the help. not sure about the cutting and using my cruiser center but we'll see when i get the axle.

Check Proffitts cruiser web site I believe they sell a centered land cruiser axle. you just need to drop in your 3rd.

Axles fit in the cruiser third, cruiser thirds do not fit in the mini housing. The way a hybrid is done is with the mini outers sleeved into part of the cruiser housing and the mini shafts are used.

See how the housing steps down? The smaller tubing is from the mini axle. I'd use a bigger pic but Proffits is still redoing their site.
p14_thumb.jpg

oh i see. hmm what about using a mini rear axle. the mini truck guys say the bigger 8 inch ones are very strong?

I can't personally vouch for them but a buddy of mine runs a detroit locked 4 pinion V6 mini rear with 37s on his truggy and it's lived through a ton of abuse with stock shafts and aftermarket 4.88 gearing. If you don't have a ton of weight or power I'd imagine it'd survive just fine.

peddling some parts here. i have a factory 1962 fj40 centered axle you can buy from me. not sure where you are but you can have it for cheap.
PC120001.jpg
PC120002.jpg

Last edited:
not sure. i have an 1980 i am swapping in so ill go check

edit: ok its shorter from wheel mount to wheel mount. measures to be about 53" and the 1980 is about 55"? spring perches are the same though.

Last edited:
The centered housing, while rare, is also weaker as it uses 10 spline shafts and nothing mass produced is a direct swap in.

I have found that finding the pre 85 truck diff is harder than I thought.

Thanks for taking the time to measure the 62 diff!

yes the ten splines are weak but if you swapped YOUR third in and used the mini shafts as mentioned before it would be a completely different animal

The problem with using mini shafts is that they use a pressed-on bearing like a 9" Ford and use a 4 bolt housing end so you would still need to add mini tubes at the ends as the cruisers use a c-clip retention system and a 6 bolt housing end instead, this will also add the 2 inch additional width required to fit pre-85 shafts. I would've bought that housing a few months ago if I'd seen it, would've made a stronger housing since you can sleeve the mini tubes more.

Last edited:
i dont know how wide they are but isuzu troopers have a stout centered rear and ebrake built in with the disc brakes.its also 6 bolt dont know the ratios but according to some people on the internet they are good axles.have 250,000 on mine with no problems its not toyota but may be made by the same people good luck

Hi All:

Yep, the 1988 and newer Trooper rearends have a drop-out third member like a Toyota, rear disc brakes with the parking brake, and are set-up for SUA. Axle shafts are 26 spline, and factory axle ratios are 4.56 and 4.77

Regards.

Alan

i dont know how wide they are but isuzu troopers have a stout centered rear and ebrake built in with the disc brakes.its also 6 bolt dont know the ratios but according to some people on the internet they are good axles.have 250,000 on mine with no problems its not toyota but may be made by the same people good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom