S Mode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ToyotaTrk

SILVER Star
Threads
Another newbie question here..... So the sales guy explained S mode to me as Sport or manual mode which allows manual shifting. As I’m new to Toyota I’m still figuring it out and have discovered that he may have been mistaken. I did a little searching and I’m trying to figure it out. The manual says,

“ The initial shift range in S mode is set automatically to 6, 5 or 4 according to vehicle speed. How- ever, the initial shift range may be set to 3 or 2 if AI-SHIFT has operated while the shift lever was in the D position.”

So in reading more on the site here, I now understand that S mode restricts upshifting to no higher that whatever gear is showing. Is this right?

Also, I don’t understand the above from the manual - shift range may be set to 3 or 2 if AI shift has operated while the shift lever was in the D position. What does that mean? Anytime I’ve shifted to S, it always starts in 4th.

Trying to figure it out. Thanks for any help in explanation.....

Yes S mode simply limits your highest gear. It does not force the transmission to hold a gear (unlike how my Acura worked).

I've found when I go into S mode it almost always selects 4th gear. The exception seems like if I'm braking or towing at a lower speed and I go into S mode sometimes it goes right to 3rd.

Yes S mode simply limits your highest gear. It does not force the transmission to hold a gear (unlike how my Acura worked).

I've found when I go into S mode it almost always selects 4th gear. The exception seems like if I'm braking or towing at a lower speed and I go into S mode sometimes it goes right to 3rd.
That’s what I was beginning to think on the limiting part..... Sales guy didn’t know too much. But for the life of me can’t figure out what it means by how to set to gears 2 or 3? Just trying to figure it out.

I can't say for sure but it looks like it'll choose a lower gear either based on a steep incline/decline or based on the fact that you're down into the throttle when you go into S mode. I don't think you can force it to default to 2nd or 3rd normally. FWIW when I've found it doing this it's because I was already in that gear.

https://brockandbecca.com/files/fj/Technical Service Bulletins/auto_transmission_ai.pdf

upload_2018-9-24_8-46-22.png

upload_2018-9-24_8-46-32.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom