s/c ringed fan replacement + shroud question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I plan to replace my ringed fan with either C-Dan's 3.0 truck fan or the 3fe fan.

From searches I see that the shroud needs trimming for the 3.0 truck fan.

Q. But does the 3fe fan also need the same shroud trimming or is it a direct replacement to s/c ringed fan with no modifications?

this is for a '96

Thanks in advance
Mike

I have a 97. I am currently using the 3FE fan and I did not need to trim the shroud. YRMV

NLXTACY, thanks for the info/reply.

Looks like same shroud for 93-97 unless anyone else knows otherwise.
Toyota p/n: 16711-66030 shroud

anyone else with good or bad experience simply replacing with 3fe fan and not trimming back the shroud?

anyone else with good or bad experience simply replacing with 3fe fan and not trimming back the shroud?

No trimming needed, bolts right on.

The 3Fe worked fine on my 97' - certainly worth doing that and the clutch fluid seem to have dropped my non- sc'ed 80 down 10 degrees overall on average....I also did new pump, hoses and alum rad. but suspect the bulk of the difference is from the fan and clutch.

There's no point in putting the 3FE fan on a non SC'd 80. The stock fan is the best option unless your other mods have caused it not to fit.

Anyone happen to know which 3fe fan they've used?
16361-61020 is FJ62
16361-61050 is FJ80

from search sounds like the difference is the fj62 fan has have small fins in them and the 80 has smooth fans.

good point.
the 80 is the one you have?

I also want to see if there is a diameter difference in the 62 vs. the 80 since some of the s/c ringed fan issue also seemed to be it rubbing against the fan shroud.

FWIW, I'm running an FJ80 fan in mine with no trimming required. Even when my DS motor mount wasted and was causing the engine to sit cockeyed, it never hit. Mine is N/A, but the old fan was toast, so I replaced it with the 3FE fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom