S-10 Rear Tank Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A while back I read a post that asked what kind of aftermarket/auxillary tank guys were running. I knew about all the 22 gal. aux. tanks that were nice, came with all the hardware, and were so expensive it would make Bill Gates blush. I barely own Windows Vista, so those guys were out of the question. I liked the idea of putting an S-10 tank from a mid-90's Blazer under the tub, in the back just like the high dollar ones. I liked the 20 gal. possibility, the location of the filler (passenger), the possibility of an electric pump, the fact that it fits the 45 degree bends in the back, and of course the $15.38 pricetag. Sounded like a great alternative.

So I decided, what do I have to lose?

I went to the pull-n-save, took it home, washed it out and let it air dry. I was going to have to weld it up, because the yard policy is to puncture and drain all fuels upon arrival. Okay...
DSC02283.jpg

I chose to weld a small 2x2 inch piece of sheetmetal rather than try to close up the hole. A buddy had suggested welding a bung and setting it up as a plug, I just didn't want to.

(When welding the tank, be sure to do it in a very well ventilated area. MAKE SURE IT IS COMPLETELY DRY OR IT COULD EXPLODE!!! Also, be sure to wear a respirator as there are coatings inside the tank that burn as you weld.)

While the tank sat cooling, I decided to pull off the tub, as I would want as much access to the tank connections as possible.

6 broken, rusty body mounts later I was looking at the tank nestled not so cleanly inbetween the rear shock mount/frame support.
DSC02272.jpg
DSC02271.jpg

So what to do??? I originally bought this as a Honey-I'll-have-it-runnin'-in-a-week-build. When the dust settled and I didn't have to sleep on the couch anymore, I headed out to the garage and began ripping it apart. I would get far and think, "I can go further!" SOOooo...

I decided what a great time to demolish the old rusty junk, and cut out the crossmember. I had some 2in sched 40 sitting around and what do you know its exactly what I need.

Chop chop. Don't try to just drill the rivets and swing it out. The frame bends on either end. Just drill the rivets and cut that sucka in half.
DSC02273.jpg
DSC02275.jpg

I, like many builders, get very excited to see "What it's gonna look like?" I put the tank on the back end and Ooooo... It fits better than I thought. It sits just high enough to not worry about a huge addition in body mount height, and low enough to keep well out of reach of the diff. I flipped the rear springs and still have plenty of room!
DSC02276.jpg
DSC02279.jpg
DSC02281.jpg

If you use a tank out of a gmc typhoon or jimmy, you do not need to remove the crossmember. I can't remember exactly what years, but I put one under mine last summer for less than 75.00 new.

How many gallons? I was going to remove it in any case. It was rotten and since I moved the axle, I wasn't going to use the same shock location on top.

Bit too far into it to change my mind now...:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom