Rusty, I mean rally rusty, Ubolts--ok to grind cut them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.humboldt.edu
OK I'm looking forward to my new suspension and I know from having tested them that my original Canuck special ubolts on my BJ42 are rusted to hell. As in my cheezy Chicago electric 270 ft. lbs. impact wrench cannot budge them (but a 1/2 drive breaker bar with pipe extension can). Even when you can start to move them they require the same force to continue as when you first break them free. Yes, this is with PB blaster and heating them. I don't want to struggle through 16 ubolts like that.

So, question is, can I just grind through them? I imagine there will be some serious pop when they let go but most of the force should go down into the ground right? Am I crazy?:rolleyes:

Don't worry mom I'll wear a face shield...:grinpimp:

Tnx,
B

i've cut almost all of mine off regardless of rust...just easier that way.

I do have a new set of bolts, so I don't care about them, I was just concerned about killing myself. I wrenched off the bolts on my old 60 when I replaced the springs-that it was pretty tame...

---what should I expect when I do this?

nothing will happen as long as you don't cut the tube.

When I cut them I try to cut at the top of the arch. This way I only gotta cut each one once :D but sometimes there isn't room for that. As soon as enough of the bolt is cut it will break in half with a loud POP as the tension is released. They don't fly across the garage as they are still held by the plate under the axle. Just make sure the truck is supported by stands/wooden blocking under the frame. ;)

HTH,
Nick

One cut, over the top, diagonally. More control.

Didn't somebody burn their house down once grinding @&@&@&@& out?:eek: Where is that thread?

Might want to do that job outside, away from flammables.;)

Good luck.

Mark

The bolts are under considerable tension, so they let go with gusto. I torched mine off and I got hit with some hot slag when it let go.

They willl "pop" when they go I cut them off too. Believe me I have struggle with rusted or twisted ubolts before. No one mentioned it but use a cut off wheel with your grinder, not the grinding wheel otherwise you'll be there forever...

So if your worried about the tension and you can move them with a breaker bar why not just loosen them up a little first. Avoid the pop altogether. Just my .02
I getting old and don't care for those kind of surprises anymore.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom