Rusty fuel sending questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
Fuel gauge started giving some bad readings pulled back carpet found this . I looks like maybe there was a ground wire connected to one of the bolts on top of the tank. Was one power and one ground? It looks like ground was gone.

That's really ugly.... The red/yellow wire goes to the fuel gauge. The other(should be white/black?) is ground. Looks like both tab connectors have corroded off the sender. Is that liquid, water or fuel?o_O

From the factory the brown clip took care of both connections. Someone has previously rigged up a fix for a bad ground. Not surprising it didn’t last.

The tab for the red/yellow is still there. You could clean things up and make another ground - I’d probably drop the tank, clean everything up and put in a new sender. Put a proper spade connector back in the clip...

My two cents would be to first check out the sending unit. If it's that bad on the exterior, I wonder what the interior of the tank looks like.

Before going through all the trouble of dropping the tank, just take off the 5 screws holding the fuel sending unit in place. You might need vice grips if the screws are really corroded.

If the tank if good you might be able to just clean off the connectors. If not, replacement is your best option. I think cityracer has reasonably priced units.

If the tank is in a sad state, then clean and clean.

Good luck!

Should look like this minus the blue and black wire that is for the fuel pump for the ls swap i am doing also that is a new sending unit.

Screenshot_20190218-121031.png

20190201_163358.jpg

20190201_161556.jpg

20190201_123508.jpg

And this tank was very very rusty dirty inside was bought from a cruiser place for 300 plus shipping not going to mention any names but i will not recommend the company to anyone the tank must have been sitting outside open for a long time took alot of time to get clean enough to use also sealed the inside with por tank sealer all in all i think my customer has about 900 in just the tank .

That's really ugly.... The red/yellow wire goes to the fuel gauge. The other(should be white/black?) is ground. Looks like both tab connectors have corroded off the sender. Is that liquid, water or fuel?o_O
I sprayed it down with some pb blaster to try and remove the screws. But I am going to try and reground the tank and see what happens

I checked the recall and my tank was involved and I had it replaced at my local Toyota dealer here near Houston. I went ahead and had them order a new sending unit after seeing a few nasty pics from here. I probably could have saved a little ordering is from somewhere else but since I was getting all this work done for free I figured paying a little for this one new part was fine. Do yourself a favor and double check to see if you are eligible for a new tank. If you are I can forward you a thread on it as some owners got the run around from their dealers.

I can get the gauge to come to life if I touch the negative wire to the connector on top of the tank. But I can’t seem to find a ground. I may need to ground down some metal near the opening and try that. My truck is rusty. Any suggestions on grounding points?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom