Rusty Frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I don't really know if this has been discussed here before but, any help would be great. I am looking into buying a a 1978 Fj 45, the truck is in good mechanical condition and there is some rust through on the floors which doesn't really scare me too much. Its just that the fram has some big holes in it right in front of the front rear spring hangers. I was just wondering how easy this is to fix, and what I could expect to spend fixing this problem (I wouldn't be doing the work myself, because of lack of welder). The holes are only in about 12 - 18 inches of the frame.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

I'd think again about buying such a truck.

anything can be fixed except a broken heart and the crack of dawn. just depends on how much money you have to spend on the repairs needed. check this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=12661 they are doing a lot of frame rust work here, from the pics.seek a fellow cruiserhead in your area that can do the work. just make sure you don't let some hack work on it.

if you have the $$ and the ride is a deal then go for it, cause if you don't someone else will :)

if all else fails, put duck tape on it.

p.s. welcome aboard!

I agree with IDave. The only way to really fix this would be to replace the frame. You may be able to weld it however, always going to be a weak point in the frame. The frame is the last place you want a weak point to be. I say pass and keep on looking unless the cost of a new frame is deducted from the price. Good luck finding just a frame for a FJ45. :D

:cheers:

the last 12" of frame and the bumper of my fj40 is new. and my old 78 fj45 had a similar problem to yours, that was hidden by a propane tank which i got repaired. both have had no problems since. just get it done by a professional who has done frame repairs before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom