Rustoleum Tuscan Sun for "Mustard Yellow" match?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone used this to paint their 40? I am looking for a low budget paint job for a wheeling rig and wanted to know if this was a close color match. I will be starting from scratch so I do not need to match existing paint but want it to look close. I do not want school bus yellow or Cat yellow.

Has anyone else used anything close? I know I can get color match spray cans but they are about $20 per can, thats a lot of $$.

Thanks in advance

Amazon product ASIN B01HSHVH2W

I actually use that for the jack and jack rods. Looks pretty good for those parts.
I happen to just paint a couple rods last week and did notice it was pretty close to my original paint mustard...
So for a rattle can version...
Go for it...

My color code is 531 on my '75's fender. Other sources say 532 for '75 onward. Are there two different 'mustard' yellows? What is your/our color code?

532... Don't make things up... :)

IMG_20180514_150414.jpg

Ok so 532 I am pretty damn sure is Mustard Yellow color code. I have NO idea where 531 comes from, never even heard it mentioned here on mud till now. An FJ40 is the WRONG vehicle to own if you have financial concerns as to what things cost. Just my two cents. Actually I have used Rustoleum paints and they go on well and have proven very durable, but that is here in Arizona. Not sure how they would have adhered or held up in a more humid climate. I would try it first in a less visible spot to see what the match is like. Good luck. FWIW has anyone else seen this 531 color code????

531 ? I guess I was wrong.
Just never heard of it before...

Unicorn?

Okay, I just did some research and yes, it was a one year only (for the 40) in 75.
20190727_104416.jpg

So I bought a can today and tried it out on a block of wood.
One coat primer
three coats paint
Looks pretty close and more mustard than in the photos. It does have a gloss to it and the side panel has 40+ years of fade to it.

I also did samples of gloss orange and maui blue which is close to "smurf blue"

rustoleum tuscan sun 1.jpg

rustoleum tuscan sun 2.jpg

rustoleum tuscan sun, gloss orange, maui blue.jpg

I need to go check my 75’s color code. I always thought it was a slightly different yellow than most I see.

Looks good! I used to live in SE Georgia in probably the most humid environment in the contiguous US and had a truck painted with Rustoleum paint. That paint was super durable and stayed on the truck for the next 4 years I owned it. There was some fading but it was a work truck that sat out in the sun year round and I never really took care of it.

My thoughts are something cheap to touch up if I rub a tree or rock while out wheeling. I have a nice driver, this will be a wheeling rig but I want it to look good from 10 feet away.

I have spray painted many rigs and done real paint with a paint gun. This will be much easier to use.

My main concern is trying to keep with Toyota colors, ( I know that color orange is not but Orange is my favorite color) I want to give the look of an original Toyota color without the cost.

I'm a rattle can junkie. I just got paint code 532 in a can, it doesn't match. But, I'm still playing around with the idea of off-the-shelf for my 531. See this from post #29

Just did my bed with rustoleum satin fossil, closest thing to dune beige 416. Painted my troopy 3 years ago and it holds up really well. And the satin is nice, rattle can gloss shows too many flaws. Big fan of low cost, easy touch up, and you can USE your rig!
997F98AC-6E77-4269-AF87-76A73C1BAA23.jpeg

I have painted several Cruisers with Rustoleum rattle cans with good results. After about 3 years of sun, it does get chalky. I was able to wax it back to a decent shine though.
Best thing is easy multi phase paint jobs and touch ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom