Rusting Nuts! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No, I'm not getting old!!! I've been slowly taking the old Nuts out of the FJ62! (engine bay, seats, bumber bars etc). I run them through a bath of Evaporust, which cleans them back to near new again.

But, when I put these back on! They instantly start rusting again (within 1 month), with what seems to be more aggressive rust! Does Evaporust strip some sort of protecting coating off? Should I be putting the new clean bolts in some sort over covering or something?

If you take them back to bare metal they will start rusting again. you could paint them but this won't protect the inner threads form rust. If I were you I'd paint them, put them on, then spray with an oil based rust inhibitor like Fluid Film. This will seep in the threads and prevent rust. You'll need to reapply every year or two depending on how much salt they are exposed to.

This is the reason cars start rusting as soon as you buy them if you drive in salt or even moisture. The paint is incomplete and rust will start right away somewhere and eat its way under the paint until it all falls off. The only way to fully protect it is with rust inhibitor.

Probably would have been better off just replacing the lot of them with cadmium-plated or SS bolts. Metric SS bolts are suitable to substitute up to grade 8.8 metric steel bolts.

^^^
And then I ALWAYS use Anti-Seize on the threads every single time I remove/install a bolt. Every single time!

I replaced every nut and bolt I could with stainless steel. Mostly the commin M8x1.25 bolts & nuts. You lose the captive washer on the bolts going that route, but no more rust forever.

For the bigger bolts and other removable steel fasteners, I got them re-plated at a metal plating shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom