Rusted rain gutters! Did factory use filler between roof, a-pillar & rain gutters? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In trying to combat the rust on my '96 80 series rain gutters I ground into to some body filler. It appears that the roof, a-pillars and rain gutters are all seperate pieces spot welded together every 4 inches or so. The small gaps between the roof and gutters were filled with body filler.

Was this done by Toyota at the factory? It appears to be original as there is no paint blend marks, the primer matches other parts of the body, all body panels have original Toyota VIN # stickers on them.

Any way, I ground out all the bad stuff. Coated it with rust inhibitor/neutralizer, re-ground down everything to bare metal and primered.

My question is, will using a small amount of filler to even the gutters out and smooth the transition from a-pillar to roof panel result in leaks and further damage when I install a gutter mount roof rack?

Also, has anyone else encountered this. It appears that filler was used under the rear hatch where the roof mounts because there are faint rust colored cracks in the vicinity.

Use some seam sealer.

Something like this: Seam Sealer Beige Firm Set Cartridge

I have never used seam sealer before, but it is made for situations like this.

My 80 has seam sealer in the rain gutters and it looks factory. When I use my roof rack the legs press down into it. It returns to shape after awhile when I remove the rack.

I would think body filler would crack if you use a roof rack.

Are you sure it's body filler in your gutters and not seam sealer?

Last edited:
x2 on the seem sealer, I think its used in the factory also.

Looks like filler. I sanded them down to bare metal & primered them a few months ago. Now they are rusting through the primer again. I think my factory roof rack is leaking into the underside of the roof panel and moisture is dripping down into the seam with the gutters and rusting from the inside out. Under the rear hatch are faint rusty cracks in the paint along the seams. I'll prob just strip it down again, remove the roof rack, interior headliner, get the holes filled and get the roof & gutters repainted then Rhinolined in white.

Yes, factories use filler to smooth the transition between welded panels.

PM me if you wanna see what it looks like under all of that so you dont go in blind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom