Rusted front wing vents, how do I go about fixing this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello friends,
I've been looking around the forum for a solution to this but haven't quite been able to find much information.

The Wing Vent assemblies of both front doors are rusted at the bottom, and aren't sure how to fix them. Is this something a skilled person can fix? Is it better to buy new ones? (SOR has them for $350 each side... ouch) Then we also have the issue of the small windows which need latches fixed and possibly the frame replaced, only the bottoms are damaged which I imagine has water seep and rust through.

Help?

20200621_124327.jpg
20200620_124355.jpg

20200620_124402.jpg

Cut and weld is our first option. I made a 3D sheet metal model and had segments cut, but I am not a welder and I do want a long lasting solution.
Has anyone purchased them from SOR and compared the quality versus the original ones?

I am coming to the realization that I will need to learn how to weld if I'm ever to make restoring a 40 a somewhat financially doable affair.

Hello friends,
I've been looking around the forum for a solution to this but haven't quite been able to find much information.

The Wing Vent assemblies of both front doors are rusted at the bottom, and aren't sure how to fix them. Is this something a skilled person can fix? Is it better to buy new ones? (SOR has them for $350 each side... ouch) Then we also have the issue of the small windows which need latches fixed and possibly the frame replaced, only the bottoms are damaged which I imagine has water seep and rust through.

Help?

View attachment 2392473View attachment 2392474

View attachment 2392476

I found a clean set in the MUD classifieds for a pretty reasonable price.

Learning to weld is a great idea. If you are only going to use it for sheet metal then buy a 110 volt gas mig welder. Not only is welding fun but you can repair things on your schedule, not someone else’s.

Definitely in the to do list of things to learn. Unfortunately this pandemic has kept me away from the our workshop. We have a BJ40 we're fixing and need to solve this in the next ~30 days before we paint.

$350/side - that’s insane. I found rusted doors for less and used them for parts. The insides on mime were fine.

If the material is on hand in the country where you live, they can make that in a heartbeat

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom