Rustbucket found (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cleaned it (kinda) and got it running after sitting for 10 years. Literally just shoved some starting fluid down the carb and it fired right up. Connected a 5gal gas tank to the fuel pump instead of running that crusty old gas straight into the engine and it runs amazingly. Really responsive, just doesn't idle, and it's LOUDDD. The exhaust has split apart in multiple places just from rusting through. Need to figure out how to drain the tank and then fill it up again, do these have a plug on the bottom of the tank? Need to get a brake booster for it as that's supposedly why it was parked... and then left to rot😞. Also, it moves, has 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and reverse, as well as Low Range. It was definitely restored (at least partially) at some point. The paint is really quite beautiful and the interior is pretty mint. Anyways here are some vids of it running and before and after the wash.

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg
IMG_3045.jpg

curious to know what you paid- but not my business
I'll let my dad say if he wants to, not my call
Pig 🐖 got a lift in it?? Looks like it. Body's very rough, but get it running and I know someone to help with body😉🐷.
I think so, the suspension in our other pig is flat so I can't get much of an idea of how they should look OEM and brandnew-ish
That body is gone.
Totally, I thought the turn signals were gonna fly out of the fenders on the way home! 😂
I’m thinking what do the floors look like?
Really not as bad as I thought, especially for the rest of the body. Very clear it rusted from the outside from just sitting under that tree in a coastal area for 10 years.

Screenshot 2021-07-20 133546.jpg

I've seen the 4 speed boxes on eBay going for $1K or more. I guess you can ask what you want, not sure what you can get for them. If the original dome light is there they are asking like $400 for them (which is just stoopid). Lots of good specialty parts, door hardware, glass etc.

My schedule lately has left no time for the forums, so apologies for the slow report.
We towed the 55 home and my son got it running in a day - @theglobb video above.
I really don't want to part it out - but the body is absolutely shot.
The engine seems to run decently well -- it moves in all gears -- brakes are gone.
Frame has rust, but I haven't had time to evaluate whether it's mostly surface rust or if there is significant rot.
It's kind of bizarre how good the interior appears.
Any way - how about a call for help? Sources for full body transplant? Body parts?
Suggestions? Guidance?

The frame would be a deal breaker for me. If it's gone then I think parting it is the best option. Others might disagree. Even if the frame is good then you still have the hurdle of finding a body, unless you have wicked sheet metal skills.

If the frame is good save it...restore to your level of tolerance... get her running and in the woods or on the road..
If the frame is shot, part it out, save other pigs, and specifically the other one you have... (not all parts will transfer)
Option three, hold onto it, wait for the right donor, and take pieces of both and make a runner... There's no fail in this world when it comes to pigs...
but all of them cant be saved ..
IMHO your decision rests on your evaluation of the frame....

Rivet in some patch panels to hold the turn signals on, get a new hood, spray all the cavities/rust holes with fluid film, all new fluids an fully greased, and run it.
I have been seriously considering this recently, the starter wouldn't engage after late July so tinkering with it came to a halt, along with me going to college 6 hours away. I came home for easter sunday, switched over the starter from our other pig and it started right up. Got me thinking... If I could put enough money and time into getting the brakes somewhat solid on this rustbox I think it would be a pretty solid daily... mechanically that is haha. I was thinking I could drive it up in the winter months of the year at college where they heavily salt the roads. This winter I felt horrible driving my troopy around and seeing all the salt collect on it, with this 55 I really wouldn't have to care at all. Figured the $500-1000 I put into it to get it braking would pay off for itself in rust repairs for the troopy later down the line. Being a 1976 it's got discs brakes which I like working on quite a bit more than drums.
At least for awhile till you decide, don’t hVe to worry about show and shine, just enjoy it
Yes exactly, once I'm back home for the summer I'd have to fully evaluate the frame and see if this pig is a total lost cause or not. Given that its bones are solid.. I could get it braking, rivet those turn signals in, clean up some of the wiring, and then wire brush the entire frame, paint, fluid film, etc, and drive it around some in the summer but most importantly in the winter up at Appalachian State. It was just such a bad feeling, like I had a bunch of plaque on my teeth and wasn't brushing it off, just for my car and even worse.

Short video of it running with no valve cover, pretty carboned up but I've seen worse, perfect candidate for some seafoam.

Anyways, does anyone have thoughts for or against this idea? I do realize that this is the Iron Pig Preservation Society and so most of y'all will be voting for yes, get this thing moving again. Any other blatant challenges I may run into that I've not expected? Tips or tricks? Really anything is appreciated. And yes I do realize that once I may get it braking that then I could find out that 4th gear could be blown up or the rear diff is on its last legs, etc etc. Really just gotta inspect that frame very well and go from there...

Didn't you say you had a '71 Pig? A dozen bolts, some wiring disconnects and a forklift and you'd be swapping bodies (assuming the frame is good.) A couple of weekends worth of work when we did mine. Maybe a few extra hours to move the interior pieces over.

There's always this route. ..... The Foyota. Oh, and that Valiant a friend dragged home has a 106" WB.

frame off 1.JPG

frame off 2.JPG

frame off 4.jpg

Pops and KK in blue truck.jpg

frame off valiant.jpg

I have been seriously considering this recently, the starter wouldn't engage after late July so tinkering with it came to a halt, along with me going to college 6 hours away. I came home for easter sunday, switched over the starter from our other pig and it started right up. Got me thinking... If I could put enough money and time into getting the brakes somewhat solid on this rustbox I think it would be a pretty solid daily... mechanically that is haha. I was thinking I could drive it up in the winter months of the year at college where they heavily salt the roads. This winter I felt horrible driving my troopy around and seeing all the salt collect on it, with this 55 I really wouldn't have to care at all. Figured the $500-1000 I put into it to get it braking would pay off for itself in rust repairs for the troopy later down the line. Being a 1976 it's got discs brakes which I like working on quite a bit more than drums.

Yes exactly, once I'm back home for the summer I'd have to fully evaluate the frame and see if this pig is a total lost cause or not. Given that its bones are solid.. I could get it braking, rivet those turn signals in, clean up some of the wiring, and then wire brush the entire frame, paint, fluid film, etc, and drive it around some in the summer but most importantly in the winter up at Appalachian State. It was just such a bad feeling, like I had a bunch of plaque on my teeth and wasn't brushing it off, just for my car and even worse.

Short video of it running with no valve cover, pretty carboned up but I've seen worse, perfect candidate for some seafoam.

Anyways, does anyone have thoughts for or against this idea? I do realize that this is the Iron Pig Preservation Society and so most of y'all will be voting for yes, get this thing moving again. Any other blatant challenges I may run into that I've not expected? Tips or tricks? Really anything is appreciated. And yes I do realize that once I may get it braking that then I could find out that 4th gear could be blown up or the rear diff is on its last legs, etc etc. Really just gotta inspect that frame very well and go from there...

I know a guy with a pretty straight truck with no paperwork-hmmmm;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom