RUST right front wheel well on fire wall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt403

SILVER Star
Threads
I have some rust I need to take care of before I head north to Montana.
I'm worried about digging into it and going through the fire wall.
Any suggestions on a "cover up" that will keep all the snow and road salts out till I get back.
thanks

Buy a piece of tin and pop-rivet it over it, but place "seam Sealer" around the edges before installing as well as over the edges after it is installed. Then paint it.

Pics would help. Depending how bad it is, you could just wire wheel the rust down a bit and coat it with POR15 and then caulk any holes or even put a piece of tape or shoot a little expanding foam over them if it really is just temporary. The thing you have going for you in Florida(if that is where the truck is) is better body work conditions. It's bound to be too cold in Montana to do anything until spring. The POR15 will set up well in higher temps and humidity but it won't in cold temps with low humidity.

POR 15 also makes a great epoxy putty and seam sealer for patching smallish rust holes. Just used some on my cruiser for rust repairs.

Fiberglass patch over the rust after you treat it the fiberglass will encapsulate it cutting off the oxygen not letting it get worse. I would not cover it with tin that will make it grow. Or cut it out weld in new patch treat prime it. Depending how bad it is you could also hit with die grinder with 3m pad on it if it's just surface then clean treat and prime

I've had good results with Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer. I wire-brush any loose rust scale, then spray it on. Recoat with regular Rust-Oleum after 24 hours for additional protection. I did the interior ceiling of an old pickup several years ago (no A/C to remove winter moisture, leading to rust from condensation) and it's still looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom