Rust - replacing bar body with mounting points to chassis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

I've got a bit of a rust issue under the body at the connection to the chassis. Is there an available replacement bar, or will I need to design something myself? Due to the location and the bolts, it seems a bit difficult to do without any drawings.

If this is not a part I can buy and weld, does anyone have a sketch or advise?

It is the left side, just in front of the rear wheel. I also added a pic of the other side, which also needs attention but is not yet as critical.

Thanks for your tips!

IMG_20200711_140831.jpg

IMG-20200711-WA0012.jpg

IMG_20200711_140843.jpg

IMG_20200711_140938.jpg

I do not know of a replacement bar for that application. And it is an integral part that needs attention.

For a trail rig, you should be able to use some angle iron that hugs that crossmember and weld in some mounting points as needed. The trick will be to boost the tub back to where it’s supposed to be to take your measurements from.

I did something similar for @calico kid years ago for the back of an FJ55, where there was no metal left on the tub to attach a frame support to. Ninety percent of the job is just thoughtful preparation. No rocket science.

I would be surprised if you couldn't find the pieces at your local Cruiser shops, or they fab it for you

I assumed this was not a frame-off candidate. :cheers:

CCOT makes one. Most of their stuff is junk but I saw one of these once. Not too bad. I believ they call it a "mid body channel" and offer a pre & post '78 version.

“Currently not available”

slight issue

getting this in with the body on looks to be ... fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom