Rust removal tip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have to plug something I’m trying. Heard about a product called evapo-rust so I figured I’d try it on a very rusted heat shield. A couple hours of soaking and you can see the result of where the liquid line was. Should be as good as new with a couple rotations in the solution. Extremely impressed.
No affiliation with the product, just hoping this helps you all out.

You can also wrap parts in a towel soaked in the solution then wrap those in a plastic cling to hold the moisture.

7E6F3FBB-DC2F-48F9-A825-DE0BB60F9032.jpeg

Yep. I wish I had this stuff 20 years ago!

Somewhere around 8 gallons used on my rig resto.

Evap-O-Rust also works excellent in an ultrasonic cleaner, just beware of how much heat you're applying as it really catalyzes the formation of carbon on the surface. The cleaner you get the part before applying Evap-O-Rust, the better the outcome, as it doesn't degrease at all.

x2 on the carbon residue. Wipe it off as soon as the part comes out of solution. It'll wash off with rinse water then. A day later and it's like it was anodized.

Also, don't leave longer than about a day. That encourages both carbon and funky hair growth, and does nothing for the rust removal.

Oh, it's organic (I think it's hemp juice), so it'll deveop a nice green hair if left too long.

Using a different brand product because that’s what was available and found a new way to use it that you may all be interested in.

Quick background is that the Real Steel floor panels I purchased are not a good fit, at least on the passenger side, so I’m trying to use bits of it and retain as much original steel as possible. There’s significant rust in the overlapping panels in this area but the thickness of the steel is still good so it will just need some cosmetic welding and grinding. Leaving that rust will cause a problem and eventually eat through my new paint. I’m soaking rags in the chemical rust remover and wedging them in the overlapping panels and up in crevices to eat away at the rust. Just checked it and it’s working really well. Once the rust has dissolved, I’ll spray in some paint prep chemicals, blow it out with air, pry it open a bit more and spray in weld through primer before re-assembly. It’s a neat trick to getting rust out of seams where you can’t get tool on it and without having to cut out otherwise good metal.

C2E07F0E-CBA7-4779-935E-A42EB59A102E.jpeg
80D852B2-1AD8-405B-B8AA-9D3BFA2C10A3.jpeg
56991534-E1A8-43D2-A9C0-AB0401D33691.jpeg

It also works great on small and medium parts. If you get a thick plastic bag (like a big ziplock that is clear, I use those big vaccum clothes storage bag) that is water tight, put any rusty part inside with evaporust, then use a bunch of magnets to reduce the inside surface area of the bag and it reduces the amount of liquid you need to cover the whole part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom