Rust Removal - Dipping My Doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have rust on the inside of my doors and I want to stop/remove it. I believe the drains are clogged or are blocked when the doors are closed. I'm formulating a plan to deal with this and could use some advice.

The current plan is to A) unclog the drains, then B) remove the doors and soak the lower six inches in Evapo-Rust overnight, then C) coat the inside of the doors with Eastwood Anti-Rust, while ensuring the doors drains are clear.

Will dipping my doors in Evapo-Rust screw up my paint job? The label says it won't but I'm skeptical. Is there a better way to solve this problem?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414950305.206726.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414950327.610742.jpg

I used Evapo Rust on some small parts that were painted in original Beige. It removed the rust and not the paint and this was on a one day soak.

I'm having a friend help me pull the doors off tonight and will treat them this weekend. Will let you guys know how it goes. Here's a better pic of the door rust.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415402383.957867.jpg

My doors were not quite as rusty as yours, but I unplugged all the drain holes, cleaned out the inside as good as possible, and poured some rust converter into the bottoms, and used a paint brush to coat the inside. I think the stuff I used was Locktite Rust converter. Seems to have worked out well.

Got my doors removed, vacuumed them out, wrapped them up with plastic sheeting, and have them soaking in EvapoRust overnight. One gallon was good for each door.

I tested a few rusty painted parts first and it worked great without harming the paint. Will report back tomorrow with the results.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415484305.080467.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415484318.630105.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415484333.881205.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415484342.964424.jpg

The results are in from soaking my doors in EvapoRust. It worked great. I have bare metal where the solution soaked inside the door and the paint has been unaffected.

I was a little worried because the solution leaked out the door drains and basically the whole bottom of the door, inside and outside, was immersed in the EvapoRust. But no issues yet that I've detected. I will now clean them out the best I can, allow them to dry out completely, and will then coat them with rust inhibitor.

Here's a pic. You can see the bare metal below where the level of the EvapoRust solution was.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415739122.880772.jpg

Nice photos and story.

I would ultimately spray some grease (spray lithium) in the door bottoms to prevent future rust, if you leave anywhere but Nevada. You could also pour some oil in the doors or use any variety of petroleum products (other than tar-type sound deadener) to prevent rust in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom